Dubai Duty Free sales soar to $1.46bn
Dubai, January 2, 2012
Dubai Duty Free has announced record sales for 2011 of Dh5.311 billion ($1.46 billion), representing a 15.69 per cent increase over the previous year.
The signs of a remarkable year were evident in December when a new monthly sales record of Dh589 million ($161 million) was set, said a statement.
The operation’s 28th Anniversary Day on December 20, which offered customers a 25 per cent discount on a range of products, resulted in a massive surge in sales and a new daily record. Sales reached Dh86.75 million ($24 million) in the 24-hour period which was 30 per cent higher than the anniversary day in 2010.
Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, president of Dubai Civil Aviation Authority and chairman of Dubai Duty Free, said: “It has been a fantastic year for Dubai Duty Free. The entire team has worked hard to maintain its position as the single largest airport retailer in the world in terms of turnover and I congratulate them on this great achievement.”
Colm McLoughlin, executive vice chairman of Dubai Duty Free, said: “We can look back on 2011 as a great year in which the operation went from strength to strength and sales soared to a new high. I thank HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum for his ongoing support and I join His Highness in thanking our great team of staff and of course our customers, who are fundamental to our continued growth.”
In 2011, Dubai Duty Free recorded over 22.4 million sales transactions with an average of over 61,000 sales transactions per day.
From a category point of view, Perfumes retained its position as the best selling category with an increase of 22 per cent year-on-year. Sales of perfumes reached Dh803 million ($220 million), an increase of $40 million over the previous year. Perfumes now contribute 15 per cent of total sales.
The No 2 and 3 categories, Liquor and Gold, recorded sales of Dh744 million ($204 million) and Dh591 million ($162 million) respectively, representing an increase of 18 per cent and 20 per cent year-on-year.
Electronics jumped to the fifth position with the demand for the latest technology driving sales which increased by 17 per cent to Dh406 million ($111 million) for the year.
Other steep increases were seen in confectionery which rose by 11 per cent to Dh395 million ($108 million), watches rose by 21 per cent to Dh356 million ($98 million), cosmetics sales rose by 22 per cent to Dh326 million ($89 million), while delicatessen and household categories both saw 11 per cent increase.
Looking ahead, Dubai Duty Free will continue to enhance its retail operation in 2012 while maintaining a busy events and promotional calendar, which includes the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Championships commencing on February 20th. The operation is also preparing to open its first hotel, the Jumeirah Creekside Hotel located at the Aviation Club grounds, said the statement. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit