Etihad, Ireland sports club ink 5-year deal
Abu Dhabi, April 12, 2012
Etihad Airways has signed a multi-million dollar deal with Ireland’s Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA), which includes sponsoring GAA’s Hurling All Ireland Senior Championship for the next five years.
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, will also become the naming rights sponsor of the new Skyline landmark tourist attraction at Croke Park, which will open in June.
The 14-storey high Etihad Airways Skyline at Croke Park involves a roof top tour of the stadium and includes spectacular views of Dublin from five different viewing platforms atop three stands, as well as a pitch-viewing cabin.
The partnership is a demonstration of Etihad Airways’ commitment to Ireland since launching flights to Dublin in July, 2007 and becoming a key sponsor of the Championship eight months later, a statement said.
James Hogan, Etihad Airways president and chief executive officer, said: “I am delighted that we are strengthening our relationship with the GAA and extending a partnership that has worked so well for both organisations.”
“Hurling is one of the world’s most remarkable sports and it epitomises the passion of the Irish people who have also been great supporters of Etihad Airways. This strategic partnership is an example of the way we try to embed ourselves into the local culture of our destination markets and work with the local community.”
Christy Cooney, president of the GAA, said: “We are delighted to confirm Etihad Airways’ extension to their sponsorship of our GAA Hurling Championship and look forward to working in partnership with them for at least five more years.”
“In their time as partners with the GAA, Etihad Airways has brought a fresh approach to the promotion of the unique game that is hurling and their success in involving our clubs and supporters in their innovative and imaginative community initiatives has been outstanding.
“Equally, taking the M Donnelly Inter-provincial final in 2009 to Abu Dhabi helped us to showcase the game to a wider audience,” he noted.
“Etihad Airways’ support of our new Skyline facility is a further acknowledgement of their commitment to Gaelic games and in this instance to Croke Park in particular and we look forward to many more years in fruitful partnership with this leading international brand,” Cooney added.
Etihad Airways’ marketing activity in the first year of its sponsorship of the Championship was awarded the European Sponsorship of the Year in the Business to Consumer category by the European Sponsorship Association (ESA). – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit