Dubai sports extravaganza from June 8
Dubai, May 13, 2012
Dubai World Trade Centre (DWTC) will kick off an action-packed three months of sporting adventure comprising exciting leisure activities on June 8.
This one-of-a-kind indoor event in the region, Dubai Sports World 2012, will take place from June 8 – August 31, in partnership with Dubai Sports Council (DSC) and Dubai Events and Promotion Establishment (DEPE), and supported by the Roads & Transport Authority (RTA).
With a capacity to host tens of thousands of sporting enthusiasts, the event will open seven days a week, from 8 am to midnight, and 8 am to 4am in Ramadan, providing 20 hours of non-stop sporting entertainment, said a statement.
The event will host a variety of sports and leisure activities for sports enthusiasts, including football leagues, rugby tournaments, basketball and cricket matches, futsal, volleyball, fitness areas, and much more! The second edition of Dubai Sports World will also introduce for the first time, a 660 m indoor running track around the perimeter.
Encompassing over 25,000 sq m of indoor space, Dubai Sports World will be held in the interconnected Sheikh Saeed Halls 1, 2 and 3, and the Trade Centre Arena. The multipurpose Sheikh Saeed Halls will be transformed to feature pro-standard full-size playing fields for football and rugby, plus six multi-purpose courts for the other sports and leisure activities.
Dubai Sports World has partnered with leading professional sporting academies and clubs, as well as prominent sporting establishments and renowned athletic trainers to provide an outstanding experience for all, from first-time players to experienced athletes and spectators, it said.
Participants will be mentored and coached by international and local football and rugby personalities including professional Emirati sportsmen, who will identify and nurture talent, acting as scouts for sporting stars of the future.
The event will be open to the public for free for the first two days on June 8 and 9 June. During this time, visitors can try out all the facilities, be it shooting hoops on the basketball courts or a friendly game of beach football, or using the specialist gym equipment under the supervision of trainers.
Beginning June 10, those who wish to use the facilities need to register with the relevant partner academies. Every Saturday is Ladies only from 8 am to 3 pm.
“Reflecting the spirit of excellence that Dubai is known and celebrated for, DWTC is proud to host the second edition of Dubai Sports World, which supports the Emirate’s efforts in building a community that encourages health and wellbeing for both residents and visitors to the UAE,” said Helal Saeed Almarri, CEO of Dubai World Trade Centre.
“Dubai Sports World will provide a unique environment for families and communities to come together, and our focus remains to provide robust infrastructure and facilities to support and strengthen the sporting community and to encourage a healthy lifestyle.”
This year, Dubai Sports World will be held alongside Dubai Summer Surprises, the region's much-anticipated summer entertainment and shopping fiesta, which will be located in Halls 1 - 6 at the Dubai International Convention and Exhibition Centre (DICEC).
Laila Suhail, CEO, Dubai Events and Promotion Establishment (DEPE) said: “DEPE is committed to supporting initiatives that ensure Dubai is known to be a year-round destination of events. With Modhesh World, the leading family entertainment destination in the region, being held in conjunction with Dubai Sports World, we are sure that the venue will be the centre of summer fun in Dubai. It is a great opportunity for both, residents and visitors, to remain active during summer, participate in exciting fun filled activities with family and friends, and to take relief from the heat in DWTC’s world-class indoor facilities.” -TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall