SriLankan to join oneworld alliance
Colombo, June 11, 2012
SriLankan Airlines will join oneworld, adding one of Asia’s fastest growing airlines to the world’s leading quality airline alliance.
Its election as a oneworld member designate was announced as the chief executives of the alliance’s member airlines gathered for a meeting of the group’s board, on the sidelines of Iata’s 2012 World Air Transport Summit, which opened in Beijing today.
SriLankan is expected to be implemented into oneworld late next year, flying alongside some of the biggest and best brands in the airline business.
Cathay Pacific will serve as its sponsor in joining oneworld, supporting the airline through its alliance implementation programme, said a statement.
SriLankan already code-shares with oneworld member designate Malaysia Airlines – and today announced agreement in principle to code-share also with oneworld partners Royal Jordanian and S7 Airlines.
SriLankan Airlines has virtually doubled in size since peace returned to its home country three years ago and plans further substantial expansion to its fleet and network in the next few years.
It now operates a fleet of 21 aircraft and carried 3.5 million passengers last year between its Colombo base and 34 destinations in 22 countries across Asia, Europe and the Middle East, including oneworld hubs Hong Kong, London Heathrow, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow Domodedovo and Tokyo Narita, along with Bangkok and Singapore. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Mideast airlines top global traffic growth in Oct
- Travelport appoints online business head
- Saudi cargo plane veers off runway in Nigeria
- Gulf Air launches loyalty promotion
- Hala Abu Dhabi launches tours, safaris
- Kenya starts work on $654m airport project
- Gulf Air wins top eContent award
- Dubai fund ICD buys landmark Atlantis hotel
- Qatar Airways to launch Dallas/Fort Worth route
- Ritz-Carlton Bahrain appoints new sales chief