Etihad names new GM in South Africa
Abu Dhabi, June 24, 2012
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the United Arab Emirates, has promoted Xenia Adamou, one of its most experienced industry executives, to general manager of South Africa.
Adamou has been promoted from sales manager, a role she held with Etihad Airways for the past four years.
Adamou also spent over 30 years with South African Airways where she built an extensive career in a number of senior manager positions in sales and marketing.
Etihad Airways chief commercial officer, Peter Baumgartner, said: “Xenia Adamou has a proven track record within the industry and a huge sense of passion for what she does.”
“She has an extensive knowledge of this market which has helped develop long standing relationships in the key corporate and travel sectors Etihad has successfully built up since its start of operations in 2005. We are now very much looking forward to her leadership and commitment bringing even greater results in the coming years.”
Adamou, who also speaks Afrikaans and Greek, replaces Maurice Phohleli, who has moved to be General Manager of Nigeria, starting up the airline’s new Lagos operation due to launch July 1.
Adamou’s responsibilities will be to continue to drive the business for Etihad Airways in South Africa and further develop the strong partnerships the airline has forged since launching flights to Johannesburg in December, 2005.
“This is an opportunity that will allow me to utilize my current experience and knowledge whilst also continuing to play a leading role in the expanding business of the airline,” said Adamou.
“Through my time in the aviation industry and strong customer relationships built over many years, I believe I have a thorough understanding of customer needs and requirements, which will prove very valuable in this new portfolio.”
Etihad Airways, which operates a two cabin Airbus A330-200 between Abu Dhabi and Johannesburg, flies seven times a week to the commercial capital of South Africa. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers