50 attend Etihad football clinic in Lagos
Abu Dhabi, July 8, 2012
Fifty students between the ages of 11 and 16 attended a special Etihad Airways-held football clinic, with Ivorian international and MCFC central defender, Kolo Toure and three of the club's trainers.
The airline, which is a lead sponsor of Manchester City Football Club (MCFC) held the event at
FunTurf in Lekki, Lagos, where youngsters received tips from Toure and the MCFC club coaches, who recently won the English Premier League.
Peter Baumgartner, chief commercial officer for Etihad Airways, said: “It was fantastic to see Kolo Toure, a football superstar, teaching the youngsters at the Etihad Airways Manchester City Football Clinic and help celebrate the launch of our flights between Abu Dhabi and Lagos.”
“Etihad Airways has a proud tradition of hosting grass roots sporting events and so to host our first overseas clinic with Toure, and our friends and Premier League champions from Manchester City FC, is a very special moment,” he said.
“It’s great to be in Lagos on behalf of Manchester City, not only to celebrate the launch of Etihad Airways’ new service to Abu Dhabi, but also to help develop local football in the region,” Toure said. “Nigeria is a country known for its passion and love of the game, which has produced many great footballers in the past.”
“Hopefully through the Etihad Airways Manchester City soccer clinic, the coaches and I can help children learn new skills that will bring them one step closer to following their dreams.”
The children were treated to an array of football tips, which included trying to masterToure’s renowned defensive skills, the statement said. The clinic concluded with a special match with Kolo coaching and encouraging the children.
Etihad Airways marked the launch of its new service between Lagos and Abu Dhabi earlier this month by flying in its ‘Blue Moon Rising’ A330-200 aircraft, painted in MCFC’s sky blue colours.
In July 2011, the airline signed a 10-year partnership deal with MCFC, which included naming rights for the club’s stadium and expansive surrounding grounds, known as Etihad Stadium and Etihad Campus, respectively, as well as an extension of the existing shirt sponsorship. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips