Travel site Wego launches Dubai office
, February 7, 2013
Wego, a leading travel metasearch engine in the Asia Pacific and Middle East, has established a dedicated full-service operation in Dubai as part of its global expansion strategy.
Wego launched the world’s first comprehensive Arabic language travel metasearch site last April, in recognition of the desire amongst travellers to compare their travel options and book online.
Internet users across the Middle East and North Africa (Mena) have since adopted the site in huge numbers, already equivalent to the total from the company’s mature European sites, said a statement.
Wego operates over 50 websites in 30 languages around the world, managing many millions of flight and hotel searches each month. Travellers in the Middle East and North Africa now account for one in every seven searches on the site.
Wego’s new regional headquarters, in the prestigious Dubai Internet City, is headed by travel industry veteran and entrepreneur Mohamad Ibrahim Masri as managing director - Middle East and North Africa.
He brings 16 years of regional experience to the company, in sales, marketing and management roles with some of the industry’s leading brands, including Singapore Airlines and Tourism Malaysia. Masri also founded BizGate, the consulting firm that has represented Wego throughout the initial launch phase.
"Essential to the continued expansion and success of Wego in Mena is strong management, along with an established relationship with both the business and travelling communities which is why we’re very excited to have Mohamad join our executive team. We look forward to working in partnership with the governments and suppliers in the region to broaden access to travel online,” explained Ross Veitch co-founder and chief executive officer of Wego of Masri’s role.
Collectively, Mena travellers using Wego today are exploring options at over 3,500 destinations. Their searches include the inventory of 600 full service and low cost airlines, 350,000 hotels and resorts, as well as 400,000 recently integrated vacation rentals.
Wego compares over 700 travel sites to present its comprehensive results. - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home
- Malaysian jet search team spots 'column of smoke'
- Turkish Airlines revenue surges 27pc in 2013
- GCC airlines defend female cabin crew policies
- Malaysian flight 'presumed crashed' over China
- Qatar Airways likely to buy more A380s
- Malaysia Airlines jet goes missing over China
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan