Dubai Airports invites bids from retailers
Dubai, February 21, 2013
Dubai Airports has invited bids from specialist retail companies for the awarding of the official service concessions in the arrivals area of Terminal 1 at Dubai International.
The move is linked to a major refurbishment project that will be carried out at Terminal 1 over the next year. The opportunity is available to telecommunications retail outlets, car rentals, currency exchange, hotel, tour operators, pharmacies, convenience stores, restaurants and coffee shops, a statement said.
Retail has become an increasingly important part of Dubai Airports’ non-aeronautical revenue, as Dubai International’s expanding network of destinations and rapidly growing passenger numbers allow brands to target a wide and cosmopolitan audience, it said.
“As one of the busiest airports in the world, and given the global attention generated by the recent opening of Concourse A, Dubai International offers potential bidders a very attractive proposition. With sustained passenger growth and our unique passenger profile, the case for continued growth within retail is proven,” said Eugene Barry, senior vice president, Commercial Unit at Dubai Airports.
Once complete, the refurbished Terminal 1 will offer passengers a vastly improved travelling experience. The project includes the reconfiguration and expansion of arrivals hall where all ‘meeters’ and greeters will be accommodated within a fully air-conditioned space with new food and retail outlets. The arrivals immigration hall will also be overhauled to improve passenger flow and reduce processing times for arriving passengers. The adjoining arrivals forecourt will be reconfigured to improve traffic flow and create a safer pedestrian environment for all passengers leaving the Terminal 1 arrivals hall.
The refurbishment of Terminal 1 will pave the way for work to begin on a new elevated train system which will link the facility to Concourse D, which is currently under construction. Upon completion Concourse D will become the new home of more than 100 international airlines that fly to and from Dubai International when it opens in 2015.
Tender document for the retail bids will be available from March 1 at the Dubai Airports’ Commercial Unit, which is based at Dubai International’s Terminal 1, said the statement. - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan opens
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely