Flydubai launches flights to Salalah
Dubai, May 27, 2013
Dubai-based budget carrier flydubai has reached a new milestone with operations to two new destinations - Salalah, its second in Oman and Mattala in Sri Lanka. This takes the airline's operational network to 60 destinations.
The inaugural flight FZ039 touched down at Salalah airport just hours before flydubai began scheduled operations to Mattala, its second point in Sri Lanka, following a special flight in March on the opening day of Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport.
The high-level delegation led by flydubai’s chief commercial officer, Hamad Obaidalla, was met at the airport by Sheikh Hamood Bin Mustahil Al Mashani, VP of Muscat Overseas Group; Sheikh Abdullah Bin Saif Al Mahrooqi, the deputy governor of Dhofar; Salim Bin Awadh Al Yafi, the director general of Salalah Airport and Khalid Bin Musallam Bin Salim Al Rawas of the Directorate General of Tourism in Dhofar.
Speaking at a special reception held inside the airport terminal, Obaidalla said, “With Oman just next door to the UAE, there is a long history of tourism and trade between our countries. Through this new service we hope to further enhance these ties and make it easier and more convenient to travel between Dubai and Salalah."
Also present for the celebrations were; Omar Bin Ghaleb, the deputy director general of the General Civil Aviation Authority; Mohamed Al Zarouni, the head of Air Transport at the Dubai Civil Aviation Authority; Salim Al Kathiri, the CG of the Consulate of Oman in Dubai; and Ahmed Jassim, the director of PR for the office of Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum.
Salalah, the second largest city in Oman, is known for its beach and mountain landscapes. It also enjoys cooler climes than neighbouring cities in Oman and the region making it a popular holiday destination, especially during the summer months.
Flydubai will operate flights to Salalah on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. FZ039 will take off from Dubai Terminal 2 at 4.20pm and lands in Salalah Airport at 6.20pm. On return, FZ040 will depart Salalah at 7.20pm and arrive in Dubai at 9.30pm.
The round trip fares from Dubai to Salalah start at Dh845 ($229) with fares from Salalah to Dubai from Dh139.
Welcoming the flights, Salim Al Kathiri said: “We are very pleased to celebrate the opening of this new gateway between Oman and Dubai. As the summer travel season approaches, I look forward to welcoming more visitors from the UAE to Salalah.”
Earlier in the day, Obaidalla inaugurated the new flydubai Travel Shop in Salalah, making it even easier for passengers to book their travel to Dubai.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental