Etihad donates fun run proceeds to autism centre
, June 9, 2013
Etihad Airways, the national airline of the UAE, has donated the proceeds of its charity fun run marathon, held last month to the Abu Dhabi Centre for Autism.
The initiative was done as part of the airline’s ten-year anniversary celebrations.
The donation was used to fund a special vocational arts and crafts workshop to develop the children’s abilities and provide them with the technical skills needed to become contributing members of society, said a statement.
Etihad Airways also donated a substantial number of iPads to the centre to be used as teaching aids for the “Al Zohour” group, comprised of children with high functioning autism, it said.
The iPads will be loaded with various programs and applications used by the centre to develop the children’s skills and abilities.
Khaled Al Mehairbi, senior vice president of government and aero political affairs and chairman of its sports and social committee said: “Etihad Airways is committed to active participation in causes that assist people and communities across its global network and especially in its home base of Abu Dhabi.
“Every child deserves the best education possible and we are pleased to play a vital role in the development and training of autistic children, and ultimately in their integration into society.”
Mohamed Fadel Al Hamli, deputy chairman and secretary-general of the Zayed Higher Organization for Humanitarian Care and Special Needs, said: “I would like to extend our appreciation to Etihad Airways for its generous initiative in providing funds, iPads and other electronic equipment that will enable the centre to continue providing rehabilitative care and vocational training to children with autism."
The Abu Dhabi Autism Centre was established in 2002 as part of the Zayed Higher Organization for Humanitarian Care and Special Needs and aims to provide psychiatric and educational services to children with autism and helps integrate them in the community, it added. - TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares
- Etihad says majority of stranded passengers sent home