Tuesday 4 August 2020
 
»
 
»
Story

Dubai Culture unveils first glimpse of new art library

DUBAI, March 25, 2018

Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture) has given the public its first glimpse of the Al Safa Art & Design Library — a branch of the Dubai Public Library — during the 12th edition of Art Dubai, which ran from March 21 to 24.

Art Dubai is an integral part of Dubai Art Season, which runs throughout March and April under the patronage of HH Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, vice chairman of Dubai Culture.

Al Safa Art & Design Library is the pilot project of Dubai Culture’s strategic initiative to revamp all its public libraries in Dubai, which was launched by HH Sheikha Latifa bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, vice chairman of the Dubai Culture & Arts Authority (Dubai Culture) in 2016. Al Safa Art & Design Library will officially open its doors to the public by end of April 2018. Far beyond a traditional library, Al Safa will serve as a dynamic platform where members of the creative community can meet, create, work, research and read.

About 70 per cent of the space at the new Al Safa Art & Design Library is dedicated to art-related programmes and galleries, while the remaining 30 per cent is dedicated to books and reading spaces. The library features a beautifully designed art gallery space and a creative space where emerging designers, architects and artists can collaborate, support each other’s work, and access a large collection of books and resources covering various fields of art and design including fine art, architecture, calligraphy, music, and performing art and many more. It is also home to modern multi-purpose rooms and work areas, as well as a dedicated children’s library that has been designed to engage the younger generation with an activity room, a media room, a book room and an interactive digital wall, green wall and feature wall.

The library has been designed to reflect the Dubai Public Libraries’ purpose as prominent centres for knowledge and culture in the Emirate, also supporting the National Reading Strategy and Dubai Culture’s mission to strengthen the literature sector to bring happiness to society. In its design, the library embodies Friedrich Nietzsche’s concept of creating quiet, spacious and beautiful urban spaces for reflection that ‘express the sublimity of contemplation and aloofness’.

The new Al Safa Art & Design Library will also feature a section dedicated to showcasing materials, as well as digital content and databases including digital stock imaging libraries. It will encourage partnerships and collaboration between regional and international institutions for content generation and programming.

The Dubai Public Library network includes eight libraries for adults and another seven for children, as well as multi-purpose halls and classrooms. All Dubai Public Library branches are connected via computer systems and have links with other modern libraries, providing access to vast sources of information and knowledge on an immense diversity of topics in both Arabic and English. - TradeArabia News Service
 




Tags: Dubai | library | Art | Design | Culture | Safa | Al |

More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads