2Connect sues Bahrain’s TRA over 4G
Manama, April 11, 2013
A second telecom company has launched an audacious bid to be included in an auction to offer 4G mobile phone services in Bahrain, a report said.
2Connect has filed a case against Bahrain's telecom watchdog for allegedly being barred from the process, according to the report in our sister publication, the Gulf Daily News.
It accused the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of acting without justification during a hearing at the Urgent Matters Court yesterday.
"2Connect has filed a case against the decision taken by the Telecommunications Regulatory Authority to not include it amongst the three telecommunication services, Batelco, VIVA and Zain in the auction of fourth generation mobile telephone frequencies," said court documents.
The court is expected to issue a verdict on Monday.
Menatelecom also filed a case against the TRA last month claiming it had been barred from participating in the 4G auction.
It earlier won a court injunction overturning its exclusion from the auction.
But the TRA launched an appeal against the decision at the High Civil Appeals Court.
The watchdog announced last Wednesday it had halted the sale of radio spectrum for next-generation networks as a result of the Menatelecom case.
The Cabinet in February approved plans to introduce 4G technology as part of efforts to upgrade Bahrain's broadband infrastructure. – TradeArabia News Service