TDIC-Leighton wins $435m contracts
Sydney, April 30, 2008
TDIC-Leighton has been awarded a series of new projects worth a total of $435 million for the Tourism Development & Investment Company (TDIC), the tourism asset development arm of the Abu Dhabi Tourism Authority (ADTA).
The new contracts are the first of a series of major projects that TDIC is developing as part of its aim to turn Abu Dhabi into a world-class tourism destination.
Managing director of Leighton International and the Al Habtoor Leighton Group, David Savage, said the projects represent just the start of a long-term relationship between Leighton and TDIC.
'Our relationship with TDIC is one of Leighton's most significant partnerships, and will underwrite the company's business in Abu Dhabi for the foreseeable future,' he said.
'TDIC is one of Abu Dhabi's largest, most respected developers,' he said. 'These projects are just the start of a long-term relationship, and we are delighted that it has selected us as its partner for its exciting development programme.
'We look forward to working with TDIC to develop Abu Dhabi into one of the world's leading tourist and cultural destinations.'
The new projects are:
* Saadiyat Construction Village: TDIC-Leighton is responsible for engineering, procurement and construction of a 20,000 man labour village on Saadiyat Island, complete with accommodation, kitchen, dining, recreation, mosque, shops, etc. The village will be produced in four clusters and there will be room for further expansion.
* Abu Dhabi Golf Course Hotel: TDIC-Leighton is responsible for the construction of a 5-star 35,500 sq m hotel, including leisure facilities comprising, spa, pool, gymnasium and tennis academy. The site is located adjacent to the existing golf course facility at Abu Dhabi National Golf Course. In addition there will be residential accommodation provided around the existing golf course containing 66 villas, 32 townhouses and 144 apartments.
* Eastern Mangroves Hotel and Resort: TDIC-Leighton is constructing the Eastern Mangrove Angsana Hotel and Resort, consisting of 223 bedrooms, 79 chandlery apartments, 91 marina apartments, and 51 luxury apartments.
* Gary Player Golf Course: TDIC-Leighton will construct an 18-hole championship golf course and nursery, including shaping, grassing, cart paths, irrigation, landscaping, toilets, refreshment kiosks, etc. An academy and maintenance building will be built in the next phase and a golf clubhouse in the phase thereafter.
* ADTA & TDIC Headquarters: TDIC-Leighton is responsible for the construction of a 122,000 sq m eight-storey office block. Piling and basement excavation works, including dewatering. The main building works are to be LEED Gold Award certified.
* Desert Islands Resort and Spa: TDIC-Leighton is refurbishing the Desert Islands Resort and Spa, an existing 64-room hotel located on the northern part of Sir Baniyas Island. TDIC-Leighton is acting as project manager for the hotel works and main contractor for the chalets and ancillary buildings. The company is also main contractor for the construction of three staff accommodation buildings and temporary accommodation including all necessary infrastructure works.
TDIC and Leighton entered into a joint venture agreement in December last year, creating a major new force on the UAE capital's construction scene.
The 51:49 joint venture, TDIC-Leighton Contracting, was formed to undertake contracting for civil engineering and infrastructure, building, and mechanical and electrical projects, project and construction management and facilities management services for TDIC. The agreement is expected to generate annual revenue for TDIC-Leighton from a minimum of $270 million in the first year, to a minimum of $1.4 billion in the fifth.
Last year TDIC awarded TDIC-Leighton the $550 million 6.5 kilometre, Saadiyat Link, which will connect Abu<