Promethean membership tops 400,000
Dubai, September 16, 2009
The membership of Promethean Planet, a fast-growing online teaching community of Promethean, a global leader in interactive education technology solutions, has now exceeded 400,000.
Other figures reveal that downloads of flipcharts, Promethean Planet’s interactive teaching content, exceeded four million in one year while September 2009 hosted the busiest day for site traffic with nearly 30,000 visits in 24 hours.
Responding to the increased demand, Promethean Planet rolled out four new language sites – German, French, Italian and Portuguese, and will launch another four in September – in Spanish, Chinese, Arabic and Russian.
Promethean Planet is the world’s fastest growing online interactive whiteboard community, designed to provide teachers with the ability to share new and innovative lessons, access a wide variety of professional development materials and connect with each other from every corner of the world.
Supplying content that works across major operating platforms and with all leading interactive whiteboards, Promethean Planet is a virtual library accessible to all and completely free to join.
Membership is on a voluntary basis with a range of benefits designed to support, develop and inspire educators of every age and ability; new members can choose from nearly 14,000 flipchart and resource packs available for download which contain literally hundreds of thousands of images, activities and media files.
Flipcharts are easily customizable and can be quickly adapted to suit individual class needs; greatly reducing the amount of time needed for lesson planning.
Promethean Planet’s success is attributed to its huge wealth of educational content which is a unique mix of teacher supplied content, strong partnerships with leading education publisher names such as Dorling Kindersley and Oxford University Press, thought leadership articles, a range of forums and an ‘ActivEducator’ blog.
The recent launch of an iPhone application proved instantly successful with over 3,000 downloads since launch and an entry into iTunes top 100 free educational apps in August.
Over the past year Promethean Planet has witnessed a surge in membership and site visits, with the period between August and September 2009 showing almost a 50 per cent increase in visits compared to the same period in 2008.
“The phenomenal success of Promethean Planet is testament to its members’ dedication to modern-day education,” explained Majeed Hussain Sharaf, vice president Middle East.
“We aim to provide a platform where all educators, whatever their preferred platform or technology, can share ideas, voice opinions and help to shape teaching and learning in the 21st Century classroom,” he added.
“Our strong connections with industry thought-leaders allow a dramatic insight into the future of technology in the field of education for teachers through a range of podcasts, interviews and blogs which members are able to comment on and discuss,” Sharaf continued.
“In turn, these thought-leaders are provided with valuable feedback from those in the field which can be incorporated in decision making. It is the facilitation of these ‘open’ conversations combined with the variety and rich educational content of our flipcharts available for download that have led to our success.”
As part of Promethean’s ActivClassroom offering, Promethean Planet also provides step-by-step training, smoothing the transition to 21st Century learning for newcomers, enhancing the skills of more confident users and allowing every educator the opportunity to unleash their true teaching potential.
Promethean Planet will be introducing a range of new functionality over the coming months to further address the modern-day educator’s needs, said a statement. – TradeArabia News Service
More Education, HR & Training Stories
- J4B marks first year with Tamkeen backing
- Saudi CEOs ‘highest paid in GCC’
- UAE ministry seals Microsoft deal
- Pact signed for UAE girls students' development
- Bahrain private school to resume classes
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Number of Omani working women soars
- Bayt.com launches Employer of Choice Awards
- Rota interview to screen youth conference applicants
- Experts discuss ways to build talented aviation workforce
- Top e-learning experts at Dubai summit
- Top education experts win GESS awards
- Bahrainis top GCC nationals seeking Saudi jobs
- Transguard launches graduate trainee programme
- Applications invited for Bahrain scholarship
- New technology training for educators
- Mubadala tie-up promotes healthy lifestyle
- GCC education sector short of 200,000 professionals
- Rosetta Stone buys language-learning firm
- Focus on special needs education
- NIIT signs deal with Com Group
- iPads replace textbooks in 75 Saudi schools
- 250 students tour aviation training facility in Abu Dhabi
- 40 Jordanian students showcase apps, games
- New Indian school opens in Dubai
- Sharp to showcase educational products at Gess2014
- Qatar science park offers training to tech entrepreneurs
- Bahrain Indian School opens new campus
- Labour reforms 'key to job creation'
- Petroleum services training centre opened in Dammam