No new coronavirus cases since Sept 22
Geneva, October 13, 2012
No new cases of infection with the novel coronavirus have been reported since September 22 even as governments of Saudi, Qatar and the United Kingdom are working to gain a better understanding of the disease and likely source of infection.
So far, after careful follow-up of close contacts of the two confirmed cases, and a heightened state of global surveillance , there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the virus, said a World Health Organisation (WHO) report.
WHO is supporting the national authorities in their ongoing investigation, and has deployed experts to Saudi and Qatar as part of an international team.
These and future epidemiological and scientific studies will lead to a better understanding of the novel coronavirus, it stated.
WHO said it continues to work with the ministries of health and other international partners to coordinate actions for timely detection, rapid diagnosis and case management of infection caused by the novel coronavirus, should the need arise.
Based on this overall situation, WHO is encouraging member states to continue with their routine surveillance to ensure early detection and rapid response to all potential public health threats.
The global health body said it will continue to co-ordinate routine surveillance efforts internationally.-TradeArabia News Service