Three swine flu cases recorded in Bahrain
Manama, 16 days ago
Three new swine flu cases have been recorded in Bahrain, it has emerged.
The patients were kept under observation in health centres and are now recovering at home, said a report in the Gulf Daily News (GDN), our sister publication.
However, an Ethiopian woman, who became the first person to test positive this year, remains in a critical condition at Salmaniya Medical Complex.
The 41-year-old walked into the Accident and Emergency department on February 3 with high fever, urinary tract infection and other complications.
Samples tested at the public health laboratory later showed she was infected with swine flu and is being kept in isolation.
"The Ethiopian patient continues to be in critical condition and is in the Intensive Care Unit," said Public Health directorate director Dr Mariam Al Mulla, who confirmed the three new H1N1 cases.
"Tests were conducted on her family and her Bahraini husband, which were all negative and this is a good sign."
Dr Mulla said the patient did not travel outside the country and contracted the virus locally.
She confirmed all precautionary measures were being taken, but said an emergency protocol to screen travellers coming to Bahrain had not yet been activated.
"We have vaccinations for flu which works well against H1N1 virus, so there should be no problem," said Dr Mulla.
"The ministry is at the moment taking all precautionary measures and there is no need to panic at this stage."
Twenty-one swine flu cases were confirmed in Bahrain last year following 582 tests at the public health laboratory.
One fatality was recorded - a 41-year-old Indian man who died after contracting the virus while on holiday in Kerala.
Around 1,500 people were also affected by the highly-contagious condition, but most had minor to moderate conditions and quickly recovered.
Dr Mulla explained experts look for H1N1 and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infections from all the samples collected from patients showing symptoms of the virus.
"Bahrain has not registered a single case of coronavirus," she confirmed. The coronavirus has claimed 79 lives so far - 59 of which were registered in neighbouring Saudi Arabia. - TradeArabia News Service
More Health & Environment Stories
- RAK Hospital launches urinary clinic for women
- NBAD backs Emiratis on Antarctica trip
- Cut sugar intake drastically urges WHO
- Al khaliji to fund Qatar recycling plant
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- New facilitator to open in DHCC
- Many countries lack capacity to prevent hearing loss
- QUIT NOW: Passive smoking hurts kids' arteries
- San Francisco to ban plastic water bottles
- GSK wins home toothpaste award for Sensodyne
- E-integration vital to GCC healthcare industry
- Fakih IVF unveils two new genetic tests
- 2 die from H1N1 in Oman
- Al Noor Hospitals targets domestic growth
- Medical panel on the way in Bahrain
- 40pc of UAE adults ‘have hypertension’
- Saudi diabetics urged to stay away from camels
- GCC readies plan to fight heart diseases
- Bahrain opens sickle cell hospital
- Hazardous waste focus for Oman summit
- Infectious viruses to be tracked by satellite in UAE
- Mafraq Hospital names new surgery chief
- Saudi health ministry seals BMJ partnership
- Need for medical simulation training highlighted
- UAE-France discuss healthcare collaboration
- Seha focus on patient centred services
- Saudi-Tokyo firms in wastewater technology JV
- Leading experts at Dubai diabetes conference
- UAE reliance on green energy on the rise
- DB unit backs therapeutic riding programme