Alba launches new safety initiative
Manama, July 2, 2012
Aluminium Bahrain (Alba), ranked as one of the largest aluminium smelters in the world, has introduced a new safety initiative for contractors as part of its commitment to inculcate safety culture amongst its employees.
The new Contractors Safety Management (CSM) is part of the AlbaSafeWay initiative to achieve zero harm across the organisation, said Alba in a statement
As a key component of the Alba SafeWay initiative, the CSM programme provides the key building blocks in ensuring ‘zero harm’ is achieved for all contractors in every area of the company’s operations.
Consequently, safety induction will be made mandatory for anyone entering Alba’s operational areas – including drivers and other personnel from contracting companies. Contracting companies that maintain a good safety record at Alba and are able to provide audited safety records will be Alba’s preferred partners, said a top official.
“Alba has achieved remarkable success in developing a safety culture amongst its employees, and remains committed in ensuring safety remains an intrinsic element in the way day-to-day tasks are accomplished at the plan," remarked chief executive Laurent Schmitt.
"CSM is a vital component of Alba SafeWay, a safety improvement plan being implemented in coordination with the Health, Safety & Environment Department and leading global consultancy DuPont Sustainable Solutions," he explained.
"The need to include contractors in Alba’s safety initiatives was prompted to broaden the scope of goals outlined for achieving ‘zero harm’ across the organisation, and thereby strengthen Alba’s reputation as a safe work environment," he added.
On the new programme, CSM team leader, Paul Otteson, the manager (Expansions & Engineering) said, “Alba hopes that more contractors take a proactive and responsible position, such as Delmon Ready Mix. Nick Davies, the Technical Manager at Delmon Ready Mix facilitated this session and was keen to comply with Alba’s requirements.”-TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures