Mina Rashid receives top WTA award
Dubai, May 11, 2013
Mina Rashid, operated by global marine terminal operator DP World in Dubai, has been voted the Middle East’s Leading Cruise Port, for the sixth consecutive year, at the recent World Travel Awards’ Middle East Ceremony 2013.
The award was received on behalf of DP World by Mohammed Al Mannaei, director, Mina Rashid, DP World, UAE Region, at the sixth gala red-carpet ceremony, a statement from an official said.
The event was attended by 600 of the most important decision-makers in the region’s travel and tourism sector, as well as a host of international media, held at the Le Royal Meridian Beach Resort & Spa, Dubai.
Mina Rashid is the home of Dubai Cruise Terminal, the cruise hub of the region. Since 2008, it has been consistently voted as the leader in its class in the Middle East by World Travel Awards.
This year, six cruise ports from Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Oman and the UAE were nominated for the Middle East's Leading Cruise Port Award.
In December, Mina Rashid was voted the World’s Leading Cruise Port for the fifth consecutive year, beating the 17 regional winners for 2012, including top ports such as Miami in Florida, PSA in Singapore, Rio de Janeiro in Brazil and Shanghai in China.
Mohammed Al Muallem, senior vice president and managing director, DP World, UAE region, said: “Dubai reaffirms its position as the prime destination for cruise tourism in this region. We are honoured by this recognition for the sixth time in a row.”
“It reinforces our belief that Mina Rashid’s cruise terminal is a significant contributor to the growth of Dubai’s tourism sector. In line with the Dubai Government’s efforts to make cruise tourism an economic growth engine, we are expanding Mina Rashid’s capacity to continue its leading position as the largest cruise centre in the Middle East.”
Mohammed Al Mannaei, director, Mina Rashid, DP World, UAE region, said: “The port has state-of-the-art facilities that have made it one of the most tourist-friendly ports of call.”
“We are closely working together with our strategic partner the Department of Tourism & Commerce Marketing (DTCM), in promoting cruise tourism. We thank them for their important role in the success of Mina Rashid as a cruising destination.”
Opening World Travel Awards' 2013 Grand Tour, Dubai’s gala presentation ceremony heralds the start of a global search for the very best travel, tourism and hospitality organisations around the world.
WTA’s Middle East Ceremony has been held in Dubai for the sixth year in succession, affirming the emirate’s impressive force in travel trends, the statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Flare, Jordan form parent company ‘Aereon’
- Drydocks delivers second MCV for US
- ASIS launches amphibious leisure boat
- Taskforce sought to develop Saudi downstream sector
- DP World launches $200m India project
- RAK 'exploring' ceramics unit stake sale
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- DMCA launches maritime solution apps
- Saudi plans oil-to-chemicals plant at Yanbu
- Sabic gets four bids for JV with Mitsubishi Rayon
- Pentair, IDC launch industrial services JV
- Major maritime conference to be held in Dubai
- GPIC wins key IFA certification
- Gulf rules must aid e-commerce: Aramex
- Gulftainer expands 2013 ops by 50pc
- DMCA to take part in Dubai boat show
- Al Namal to launch eco-friendly chillers
- Abu Dhabi city ports to receive facelift
- Kuwait Styrene posts $180m net profit
- Drydocks set for key energy event
- Aramex launches new address check system
- Toshiba in green push at Bahrain expo
- Equate net profit surges 14pc to $1.2bn
- Shaikh Daij named new Alba chairman
- Al Abbas wins logistics rights to Sudan
- Milaha profits jump 14pc to top $260m
- BIC, Al Zayani renew partnership
- Dubai Metro to open 2 stations Saturday
- Top petchem firms back UAE plastics events
- DGCX, China’s DCE launch plastics futures