Cargo plane crash kills 11 in Russian far east
Moscow, August 9, 2011
A cargo plane crashed in Russia's far eastern Kolyma region on Tuesday, killing 11 people after its engine failed, Interfax cited the regional transport prosecutor as saying.
The Antonov-12, which was delivering food products to the far-flung region of Chukotka, caught fire and requested to make an emergency return to the city of Magadan soon after takeoff.
"(The airplane was carrying) nine crew members and two passengers, as well as 16 tonnes of food products," said a statement from the prosecutor's website. Interfax news agency cited the office as saying all those on board had died.
A search and rescue team had been sent out earlier on Tuesday to find the craft and those on board.
The crash is the latest in a string of transport accidents that have prompted Russia's leaders to condemn the country's dilapidated infrastructure and endemic corner-cutting on safety ahead of parliamentary elections in December and a presidential poll next March.
The An-12 had been leased to private airline company Avis-Amur, which the prosecutor's office said was being probed for possible safety violations that may have led to the accident.
Avis Amur was not available for comment. – Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- China premier warns on economic slowdown
- Gunmen fire on army bus in Cairo, 1 killed
- Lost jet 'may have flown for four hours'
- Gold up as Ukraine, China prompt safe-haven bids
- Search finds no sign of lost plane at suspect spot
- Missing jet may have strayed to Andaman
- Gold hits near 6-month high
- 2 killed in Manhattan building blast
- Cameron pushes for travel bans on Russian MPs
- Indian coastguards join Malaysia jet search
- Confusion as search for lost jet spreads
- Military denies lost plane's flight to Malacca
- Investors monitoring Pimco after internal strife
- N Korea tanker ‘leaves Libya rebel port carrying oil’
- Malaysia plane incident not terror related: Interpol
- Crimea closes air space to commercial flights
- Missing Malaysian plane last seen At Malacca Strait
- Stolen passport holder on missing plane is Iranian
- China deploys 10 satellites to search for Malaysia jet
- Libya says halts tanker outside port; rebels deny it
- Libya orders military force to 'liberate' ports
- Big bananas: Chiquita, Fyffes merge
- Radar sweeps, dozens of aircraft, but no sign of plane
- N Korea tanker loads oil at Libya rebel port
- Gold drops as US growth optimism weighs
- Merkel raps Putin; Russia tightens grip on Crimea
- World 'at sea' over missing Malaysian jetliner
- Passports requiring probe were on Malaysia flight
- 40 killed in Yemen as Houthi fighters near capital
- Vietnam finds object in sea; search on