Magnitude 6.2 earthquake strikes southern Peru
Peru, July 17, 2013
A magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck southern Peru on Tuesday, according to the US Geological Survey.
The epicenter of the quake was located 53 miles (85 km) northwest of Arequipa, Peru, at a depth of about 52 miles (84 km), according to the USGS. Magnitude 6 quakes are capable of causing severe damage.
Peruvian authorities said there were no reports of damage or injuries. - Reuters
More INTERNATIONAL NEWS Stories
- Citi, Merill Lynch face US fraud charges
- India hardens stand in diplomat arrest row
- Ukraine's president under pressure over Russia bailout
- 500 feared dead in South Sudan clashes
- UK to launch shale gas licencing
- Indian parliament approves key anti-graft bill
- Syria region excluded from polio vaccine drive
- Row deepens over Indian diplomat's arrest in US
- Japan to boost military to counter China
- Deadly blast targets Hezbollah base in Lebanon