Vodafone Qatar swings to positive EBITDA
Doha, January 11, 2011
Vodafone Qatar said its earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) was positive for the first time in the third quarter, as the mobile operator reported a narrowed nine-month net loss.
Vodafone Qatar said its EBITDA for the third quarter was 1 million riyals, on revenue of 266.5 million riyals ($73.25 million), boosted by an 18 percent rise in new customers over the quarter.
The Qatari affiliate of British mobile operator Vodafone said in a statement on Tuesday its nine-month net loss narrowed to 456.8 million riyals, compared with 495.6 million riyals in the same period a year ago, a decrease of 8.3 percent.
Vodafone Qatar said its average revenue per user (ARPU) -- a key industry denominator -- was 120 riyals for the three months to Dec. 31, an increase of 8 percent over the previous quarter, the statement said.
"This is our third consecutive increase in quarterly ARPU and represents Vodafone Qatar's progress in bringing new products to market and acquiring customers in new target segments," Wade Kirkland, acting chief financial officer said.
Vodafone Qatar won the bid for Qatar's second mobile telephone license for $2.12 billion in 2007. Qatar's No 2 telecoms provider, which broke the monopoly of Qatar Telecom in the world's largest liquefied natural gas exporter, listed a 40 percent stake after completing its $1 billion IPO in April 2009. -Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion