Zain e-waste campaign enters 2nd year
Manama, March 3, 2012
Zain Bahrain said its commitment to making a difference in the environment has become stronger as the company's unique and very successful e-waste recycling campaign enters its second year this month.
The Zain National Mobile Phone and e-Waste Recycling Campaign, flagged off last March, was the first ever to offer the public an opportunity to safely dispose old and unusable mobile phones and encouraged thousands of people to dispose e-waste in a responsible manner.
“Zain Bahrain is pleased with the results of the first year of the campaign. We believe that it has made the public more aware on the danger of carelessly disposing of mobile phones and batteries which make up the bulk of e-waste,” said Zain Bahrain’s Corporate Communications manager Samya Hussein.
'By adopting e-waste management as our major CSR project in 2011, we believe we opened a new avenue for responsible and interactive environmental awareness and the response from the community was terrific,' she added.
The campaign will continue through 2012 with more or less the same parameters. The focus remains on supporting the public in responsible disposal of mobile handsets and batteries.
The old mobile phone can be taken to any Zain Experience Shop or Polytechnic Bahrain where it can be discarded in a separate drop box which is placed for discarded unusable mobile phones.
All e-waste generated by this initiative will be collected, sorted and professionally disposed of in the safest manner possible by Zain Bahrain, who has engaged Enviroserve, a respected environmental waste disposal company for this task.
“What makes the campaign especially significant is that it represents the power of a simple act of civic responsibility,” Hussein said.
'Since mobile handsets and batteries are the most frequently disposed e-waste component in our lives, every time we dispose these responsibly we save our soil, our landfills and groundwater from hazardous pollution,' she added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Batelco unveils new business broadband package
- Mobily seals Bharti Airtel partnership deal
- VIVA launches exclusive rewards program
- US govt to shed control of net addresses
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion