Stiff competition 'may hit Batelco revenue'
Manama, June 11, 2012
Batelco, the leading telecom service provider in Bahrain, could continue to face stiff competition, resulting in a decline in its domestic revenue, Global Investment House said, downgrading the stock to 'buy' from 'strong buy'.
Bahrain's telecoms sector is arguably the most liberalised in the Gulf, with three mobile operators - Batelco, Kuwait's Zain and Viva Bahrain, an affiliate of Saudi Telecom Co - as well as about 10 Internet providers serving a population of about 1.3 million.
The launch of Viva Bahrain in March 2010 has had a major impact on the sector landscape, with the new entrant grabbing 27.3 per cent of the subscriber base by the end of 2011, analyst Umar Faruqui said.
'Although we expect market share erosion for Batelco to slow down significantly going forward, the competition is likely to remain stiff,' Faruqui wrote in a note to clients.
Batelco's Jordan operations are expected to remain the main revenue growth driver on a likely boost from the launch of 3G services due later this year, he added.
The company, which is majority government owned, has reported declining profits in seven of the past eight quarters and is pursuing foreign acquisitions to offset falling home revenue. – Reuters
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m
- Kenya telecom firm to join Etisalat SmartHub
- Aruba appoints new sales director
- Du enters $1.17 billion financing deals
- VIVA extends 4G LTE offer
- Batelco to update students with latest technologies
- Etisalat SmartHub seals IPX agreement
- Etisalat picks Alcatel for LTE network expansion
- Boeing, QCRI host machine learning forum
- Mobily provides 4G LTE international roaming
- Viva Kuwait, Huawei to set up innovation centre
- Etisalat, Airtel deal to boost network services
- Batelco offers 4G LTE backup solution
- Arbor unveils ‘Peakflow’ solution
- Etisalat launches enterprise mobility services
- STC launches advanced 4G network
- Dubai to host ITU global summit