VMware in key virtualisation push
Manama, July 3, 2013
VMware, the global leader in virtualisation and cloud infrastructure, said its has deployed its latest virtualisation platform at Bank Al Bilad, a leading Sharia-based financial solutions provider.
This is part of a major data centre transformation project, virtualising 95 per cent of its data centre, said a statement from the company.
In addition to virtualising its servers, the bank migrated from one gigabit ethernet core switching to 10 gigabit ethernet, and implemented a new storage virtualisation and IP-based storage infrastructure.
The new features enable the bank to continue to offer unrivalled customer service across a range of commercial banking services.
"We needed to increase our data centre capacity dramatically and decrease our number of physical servers without compromising on quality of customer service," said Bank Al Bilad chief information officer Rashed Al Othman.
"We saw an opportunity with VMware to move our system to virtualised servers and significantly improve our efficiency.
"With the help of VMware, we have now virtualised 95 per cent of our data centre and we have 750 virtual servers with 60 per cent capacity, which is a substantial improvement.
"Equally, we now have access to a much more flexible and secure virtualised platform that provides us with room to expand in the future," he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services
- Menatelecom expands bill paying network
- Du joins new global cable consortium
- Kuwait moves to create telecoms watchdog
- Batelco backs Royal Fund for Martyrs
- Egypt's Global Telecom posts $749m Q4 loss
- Red Hat launches open source BPM suite
- Batelco announces new board
- Batelco offers improved broadband
- You don't own phone numbers, warns TRA
- Tech giants back top Qatar ICT event
- Du to provide wifi access in public areas
- Zain finalises $800m, five-year loan facility
- Ooredoo Q4 net profit falls 36pc to $140m
- Mobily, Etisalat team up for LTE roaming
- Batelco approves $84m dividends for 2013
- Etisalat Q4 profit rises 70pc to $394m