Ooredoo to launch Myanmar operations
Naypyidaw (Myanmar), February 1, 2014
Qatar's leading telecom company Ooredoo has announced plans to launch its operations in Myanmar.
Ooredoo Group chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammed Bin Saud Al-Thani formally accepted the licence at a ceremony held in Naypyidaw hosted by the Union Government of the Republic of Myanmar.
Addressing the gathering, Ooredoo Group chairman Sheikh Abdullah Bin Mohammed Bin Saud Al-Thani, said: “It has been an honour to be here today to accept our licence. We look forward to working in partnership with the government of Myanmar to develop a world class network which brings the benefits of mobile technology to Myanmar’s people.”
The Union Minister Minstry of Communications and Information Technology Myat Hein said: "Ooredoo Myanmar is already actively involved in some CSR activities, and I am pleased to acknowledge that you will be taking in quite a significant number of new local recruits and give job opportunities for a large number of Myanmar women besides your other commitments."
This marks an important milestone for Ooredoo as the company remains on track to meet its commitment to deliver life-enriching mobile communication services for Myanmar’s people in six months’ time. At launch it is expected that the company’s services will be available in a majority of the major cities, expanding rapidly to include rural areas and more remote communities.
Since its successful bid for a licence Ooredoo has been establishing itself and laying the foundation for its business to become an integral part of the Myanmar community.
In Myanmar, as in operations across its international network, Ooredoo will offer a wide range of mobile communications services to enrich people’s lives that go beyond voice and data to include mobile money services, mobile health, services to support farmers and agriculture and targeted initiatives for women and young people, remarked Sheikh Abdullah.
Ooredoo Group CEO Dr Nasser Marafih said: "Ooredoo firmly believes in the transformative power of mobile communications services and we have committed to making next-generation mobile technology available and accessible to as many people as possible as Myanmar develops socially, economically and technologically."
Ooredoo Myanmar CEO Ross Cormack said: “Today is an exciting day for Ooredoo as we move closer to bringing the most advanced mobile services to the people of Myanmar, helping empower communities and people with affordable and easy to access mobile telecommunications."
"We are a community focused company and our commitments go beyond the creation of infrastructure. We are working to develop a vibrant communications ecosystem that places Ooredoo at the heart of every community, fostering local entrepreneurial talent, creating jobs for local people and offering opportunities for local businesses," said Cormack.
Ooredoo’s operations in Myanmar are developing rapidly. In recent months Ooredoo has started building out its 3G network, partnering with industry leaders where necessary to create lasting infrastructure which will support a next-generation telecommunications network, he added.
Ooredoo is also implementing its distribution plan, developing its market plan and has opened an official branch office in Myanmar ICT Park, Yangon.
The company’s in-market team is growing daily with training centres providing valuable learning and preparatory experiences for customer champions and sales staff.-TradeArabia News Service
More IT & Telecommunications Stories
- Etisalat sets ultimatum for SIM card registration
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- UAE mobile radiation levels below global standards
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SAP unveils new cloud platform
- Zain launches smartphone insurance
- Windows XP users warned on usage risks
- Tecom units welcome 181 new companies
- Ooredoo chairman joins WB gender equality council
- Mobily, Jasper start wireless M2M service
- Telecom Egypt expects mobile licence in Mar or Apr
- Sandvine wins big Etisalat follow-on order
- Aveva software for engineering plant design
- Nawras to upgrade VSat services across Oman
- Mobily, Huawei sign smart network contract
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- 4-pillar approach for telecom operators to boost growth
- Dubai mobile emissions below global standards
- Nawras signs capacity contract with SES
- Etisalat showcases satellite solutions at Cabsat
- Batelco launches 4G LTE roaming
- Gulf Air clinches best innovation award
- Viva inks Pepsi partnership deal
- Du offers free smarphones on tablet purchase
- Batelco launches double credit promotion
- Cyber threats focus of Bahrain security talks
- Bahrain tech expo to honour innovators
- Scope ME named distributor for InfoWatch
- Nawras quadruples 3G+ mobile services