Arab Film Studio 2013 to widen eligibility
Dubai, October 3, 2012
Image Nation Abu Dhabi has announced the return of its popular Arab Film Studio (AFS) short film programme, with eligibility for entrants set to widen for 2013, allowing all UAE residents and GCC nationals to take part.
AFS 2013 provides a unique opportunity for aspiring film makers to learn the tools of the trade and get their break in the industry, a statement from Image Nation said.
The new 2013 competition will be opened for entries from October 14 until December 12, with eligible contestants able to enter by uploading a one to three minute short film on Vimeo.
Submissions can be filmed in any format, on anything from a mobile phone to an HD camera, and can be in English or Arabic with no subtitles required.
Michael Garin, CEO of Image Nation, said: “Image Nation is committed to developing Abu Dhabi and the wider UAE as a filmmaking hub, seeking to attract local, regional and international film talent and production.”
“Therefore it was a logical progression, following the success of AFS 2012, to open the competition up to all UAE residents and GCC nationals. We are excited to see the fresh talent that is uncovered during the competition this year.”
Following the initial submission phase, a group of finalists will be selected to take part in a three-month multi-disciplinary training programme held in partnership with twofour54 in early 2013, designed to teach contestants the skills needed for a successful career in the industry.
Given the geographical scope of the contest, the training programme will be distance learning based via webinars, skype, email, and conference calls, with an intensive two week boot camp for all contestants in the UAE in March rounding off the programme.
At the conclusion of training, contestants will develop and produce their own short film with the skills they have learnt throughout the course. These films will then be judged to find the best filmmaker and winner of AFS 2013, who will receive a Dh50,000 development deal with Image Nation Abu Dhabi.
“Image Nation Abu Dhabi continues to be committed to the development and support of aspiring filmmakers in the UAE, and Arab Film Studio is a key initiative in developing filmmaking talent,” said Mohammed Al Otaiba, head of Image Nation Abu Dhabi.
“The competition provides a unique opportunity for aspiring filmmakers to learn from industry professionals and our trusted partners such as twofour54, who provide best in-class training and the experience to see firsthand what it takes to produce a short film from scripting to screen.” – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends
- Etisalat offers live streaming TV apps
- Month-long British Festival in Qatar opens
- 20 students take part in Leo Burnett event
- Saudi, Emirati journalists quit Qatar jobs
- LuLu chief in top global Indian list
- New 'Best Things' website launched
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat