Skyfall sets Bond box office record
London, October 30, 2012
Skyfall set the record for the biggest UK weekend box office takings of any James Bond film, its producers said on Monday.
The 23rd official cinematic adventure of the suave, but brutal 007, earned GBP20.1 million ($32.36 million) after opening last Friday at 587 cinemas across the UK and Ireland.
"We are absolutely overwhelmed with the reaction to Skyfall this weekend," producers Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said in a statement. "It is particularly thrilling as the UK is home to James Bond and it being the 50th anniversary year."
The film, which had its royal world premiere in London last week and opens in the United States on Nov 9, brings together Daniel Craig on his third outing on Her Majesty's secret service with British director Sam Mendes making his franchise debut.
The plot also puts veteran actress Judi Dench, 77, at the heart of the action as Bond's boss M, and introduces Spanish Oscar-winner Javier Bardem as a flamboyant villain complete with dyed blond hair.
Marking 50 years after the first Bond film "Dr. No" premiered in London in 1962, Skyfall has been hailed by the critics as a triumphant return to form after 2008's tepidly received "Quantum of Solace." – Reuters
More Media & Promotion Stories
- OSN wins Emirati cricket sponsorhip deal
- Hollywood blockbuster 'Noah' faces GCC ban
- Dubai group launches 'Filmi 72' contest
- Turkey could ban Facebook and YouTube
- Women 'driving social media industry success'
- 5-km long bridal veil makes world record
- Christie’s to auction Egyptian, Iraqi art collections
- Qatar researcher in 360km breast cancer run
- Wedding service providers eye $1.2bn market
- Kuwait DAI to start training programme
- Kanoo Group backs cancer charity event
- Reel Cinemas to open at ‘The Beach’
- Axiom launches #MyDubai photo contest
- Grammy winners to perform in Bahrain
- Craig David to perform for F1 Bahrain
- MGI to feature latest on-air graphics at Cabsat
- Jones Lang LaSalle renamed 'JLL'
- OSN to launch Discovery's TLC in Mena
- Art festival treat for Bahrain fans
- '12 Years a Slave' makes Oscar history
- Culinary Arts Dubai opens new premises
- iKoo launches digital media JV firm
- Team promotes Canton Fair in UAE
- RAK charity run sees record participation
- Tussauds owner plans Dubai theme park
- Batelco provides 4G services at F1 testing
- OSN unveils current affairs themed reality show
- Book marks UAE-based Indian business leaders
- YouTube ordered to remove anti-Islamic film
- Book on young Indian business leaders released