Emirati designers shine at BurJuman event
Dubai, April 22, 2013
Some of the finest Emirati fashion designers unveiled their latest collection of abayas, couture gowns and ready-to-wear lines at BurJuman during the second and third days of Mazyouna.
The event is the mall’s new initiative to provide a unique fashion platform for professional and emerging names on the Emirati fashion design scene.
The first fashion show on featured Moza Al Suwaidi’s abayas under her M-Collection label, a statement from the mall said. Blending the attire’s traditional essence with a Western form and sensibility, Moza’s collection drew upon the chic design cues that recently won her the Arwa’a Abaya Mission Innovation III award at Dubai’s Armani Hotel.
Aysha Al Dhaheri’s well-known Oushi Fashion label presented the next show, with a collection of abayas and couture gowns that displayed her signature innovative use of flowing lines and cascading fabrics, with colourful tassels and other elements as embellishments.
The evening’s finale was provided by the sisters-in-law team of Mariam Almadfaei and Safa Alawar with their 1001 Abayas label. Describing themselves as “accenting the art of being different within the boundaries of conservatism, decency and culture”, the duo stuck to their design principles with an abaya line in myriad fabrics with geometric decorative patterns.
Khawla and Roadha Bin Khedia presented their label Khawla W Roadha’s latest “Dolls Collection”. Drawing inspiration from every girl’s best friend, the overriding element of the collection, which used silk crepe de chine fabric, was colour as well as soft embroidery and appliqués of vintage dressed dolls on every piece, the statement said.
Sarah Al Madani’s Rouge Couture presented the ‘Abaya Engineers’ collection in which the designer worked with her best friend Apple Wang to offer what they called “a fusion of Arabian and Chinese design, which brings a unique trend and style tailored with class and elegance”.
The last fashion show in the three-day series saw Mariam Al Mazro’s Mimi Fashion brand display a signature capacity for innovation and elegance in a fusion of jelabiyas and western gowns in luxuriant fabrics that explored, according to the designer, “a woman’s desire of feeling special about what she wears”.
Mazyouna is a 10-day extravaganza of Emirati fashion which features some of the most talented local UAE-national design talent. Select design pieces from various collections featured on all the evening ramp shows will be exhibited at the mall until April 27. – TradeArabia News Service
More Media & Promotion Stories
- Majid Al Futtaim plans cinema expansion
- Dubai Culture launches Instagram contest
- Dubai arts consultancy wins major hotel deal
- Du campaign sweeps Dubai Lynx Awards
- Arab heroes shine at Abu Dhabi Triathlon
- Memac Ogilvy wins big at Dubai Lynx Awards
- Bahrain set to host first bridal and fashion expo
- NAS CEO El Houry chosen Young Global Leader
- Branson to address top UAE executives at du forum
- Rare Qatari artefacts on display in Doha
- Arpu's T-Pay gateway draws top game vendors
- SES signs capacity deal with Libyan group
- Primedia appoints new general manager in UAE
- National Geographic announces Cosmos launch
- Red Stallion Interactive sets up Bahrain, Qatar offices
- New MD for Media Group International
- Al Aan TV picks Harris for HD service
- Ogilvy & Mather takes majority stake in Memac Ogilvy
- UAE to host first stage of IPL cricket
- Etisalat, Tata launch video connect service
- LIVE exhibits HD technologies at Cabsat
- Twitter crashes again, software glitch blamed
- Talia seals new partnership with Thuraya
- Art now 'a viable asset class for ME investors'
- 150 creative activities mark 1st Dubai Art Season
- KFC, MBC promotion offers visit to WWE event
- 155m-year-old dinosaur finds home in Dubai Mall
- Most firms take up more CSR projects
- Saudi salon plans expansion across Gulf
- Microsoft identifies new digital trends