Turkish jets on 3rd night of sorties
Diyarbakir, August 20, 2011
Ten warplanes took off from an airbase in southeastern Turkey on Friday on what appeared to herald a third night of strikes against Kurdish guerrillas based in northern Iraq, a Reuters witness said.
There was no immediate confirmation of the latest sorties or their targets from the Turkish military.
The Turkish raids, the first against rebels holed up in the mountains of northern Iraq in more than a year, mark a stark escalation of the 27-year-old conflict after the collapse of efforts towards a negotiated settlement. – Reuters
More Miscellaneous Stories
- Dubai gold refiner wins ISO certification
- KKR among bidders for Saudi fast food chain
- UK denies role in Bahrain’s security action
- Wadi makes splash in booming MICE market
- Alba donates aid to Bahrain’s elderly
- Ethiopia, Egypt tone down talk of war over Nile dam
- Tougher food marketing needed to cut obesity: WHO
- Playnation to host Hip Hop contest
- Bahrain alerts on waste food during Ramadan
- BAS wins hospital catering contract