Sunday 13 June 2021
 
»
 
»
BAHRI SAYS ALL VESSELS SAFE

Saudi destroys explosives-laden boat off Yanbu port

RIYADH, April 27, 2021

Saudi Arabia today (April 27) destroyed an explosive-laden boat off the Red Sea port of Yanbu after it was intercepted by maritime security forces in the early hours of Tuesday, said media reports, citing the kingdom's defence ministry.
 
"A bomb-laden Unmanned Surface Vehicle (USV) was intercepted and destroyed at (0640) this morning (Tuesday, 27 April 2021)," said the ministry's official spokesman Brigadier General Turki Al Maliki.
 
"Naval units were able to detect and monitor the activity of the bomb-laden USV in the Red Sea waters off the shores of (Yanbu). The explosive USV was engaged in accordance with the Rules of Engagement,” Al Maliki was quoted as saying in the Saudi Gazette.
 
The ministry also cited "unconfirmed reports" of an attack on a vessel in the area.
 
A Saudi defence ministry statement on state media did not say whether there had been any damage as a result of the operation by the Saudi navy to intercept and destroy the remote-controlled boat.
 
Security firm Dryad Global had earlier said it received "unconfirmed reports" that a vessel, possibly the oil tanker NCC Dammam owned by a unit of Saudi firm Bahri, had been attacked off Yanbu. 
 
Chief executive Abdullah Aldubaikhi told Reuters that no vessels owned by National Shipping Company of Saudi Arabia (Bahri) had been attacked.
 
British maritime security company Ambry also cited reports of an incident and said smoke was seen rising from a vessel. 
 
United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said it was aware of reports of an incident approximately 2 nautical miles from Yanbu and that investigations were ongoing, it added.
 
The Saudi defence ministry said it was investigating who was behind Tuesday's "hostile attempt".



Tags:

More Miscellaneous Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads