F1 boss Ecclestone wants new vote on Bahrain
London, June 7, 2011
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has called for a rethink, and a fresh vote, on last week's decision to hold the postponed Bahrain Grand Prix in October.
The FIA announced on Friday that Bahrain, first scheduled as the season-opener in March but postponed due to civil unrest, would be held on October 30 in place of the Indian Grand Prix. The inaugural New Delhi event was moved to a date yet to be agreed as the last race of the season in December.
Ecclestone told the Times newspaper that it would be better to move Bahrain to the end of the season, and suggested a fax vote could be organised at short notice to overturn the International Automobile Federation (FIA) decision.
"Better that we move Bahrain to the end of the season and, if things are safe and well, then that is fine, we can go. If they are not, then we don't go and there are no problems."
The FIA said in a statement on Friday that the decision had been unanimously 'agreed' by the world motor sport council meeting in Barcelona. Two team principals, Force India's Vijay Mallya and Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali, attended that meeting.
Meanwhile, Max Mosley, former head of the governing International Automobile Federation (FIA) and a long-time Ecclestone ally, also weighed in on Tuesday by saying the calendar could not be changed without the agreement of all the teams and the race had no chance of going ahead. - Reuters
More Motoring Stories
- Aston Martin rolls out new Vanquish Volante
- Abu Dhabi group buys key stake in British F1 team
- Tyre safety awareness campaign held
- Nissan tops 2013 green brand list
- Qatar Holding sells 10pc stake in Porsche
- Harley-Davidson rolls out 'Breakout'
- Abu Dhabi revs up for major British GP sell
- McLaren, Xbox offer 'ride of a lifetime'
- Arabian Auto offers custom Nissan plan
- Mazda opens new showroom in Doha