GDF Suez wins Abu Dhabi plant deal
Abu Dhabi, July 31, 2008
GDF Suez has signed a 20-year Power and Water Purchase Agreement for the Shuweihat 2 power generation and seawater desalination plant in Abu Dhabi.
Shuweihat 2, independent power and water project (IPWP), is a greenfield, natural gas-fired installation that will deliver 1,500 MW of electricity and 454,610 cu m per day of water.
The plant will be located in the west of the emirate, approximately 280 km from Al Taweelah, another power generation and desalination plant in which GDF Suez has a 20 per cent stake.
Completion and start-up of the Shuweihat 2 plant is scheduled for 2011. The cost of the project has not been revealed.
GDF Suez owns 40 per cent of Shuweihat 2, with the remaining 60 per cent owned by Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Authority (Adwea), which issued the tender. An affiliate of Adwea, the Abu Dhabi Water and Electricity Company (Adwec) is the sole off-taker of the output in the plant, as stipulated in the agreement.
Dirk Beeuwsaert, CEO of GDF Suez Energy International, said: “With Shuweihat 2, we now have 10
plants in our Middle East portfolio, the majority combining power and desalination. They represent over
12,000 MW of electricity and 2 million cu.m. of water per day, an increasingly significant part of GDF Suez’s overall energy assets. We firmly believe in the energy and water opportunities in the Gulf, which offer longterm off-take contracts within a well-developed legal framework in a region with strong growth.”
Demand for power in the UAE is surging due to the population growth and an industrial boom, fuelled by record oil prices. Abu Dhabi aims to raise power generation capacity by 35 per cent over the next
five years, with demand for power rising by almost 80% by 2012. Water demand is estimated to grow at 5 per cent per year.
Adwea is planning to launch a similar project, Shuweihat 3, within the coming months to cope with the country’s energy and water needs. - TradeArabia News Service
More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories
- Top oil & gas show opens in Dubai
- Coal 'no solution to Egypt's energy woes'
- 300 oil and gas firms to showcase products at Dubai event
- Iranian oil import surges to one-year high
- Egypt will get oil aid from Arab states
- New technology for Bahrain's gas industry to save $300m
- Innovations key focus at Geoscience expo
- Iran seals gas export deal with Oman
- Total unit inks Elf Lubricants agreement
- Opec raises forecast for 2014 global oil demand
- Mitsui joins DME as trading member
- GE Power Conversion wins major SEC order
- Basra Light crude exports to rebound in April
- Aramco to produce unconventional gas for projects
- Alstom opens smart grid centre in Dubai
- Experts discuss key geosciences issues
- Egypt to permit factories to use coal for energy
- ME oil, gas transaction value up 15pc
- Victrex to showcase new product in Paris
- Aramco JV puts off giant refinery overhaul to 2015
- Libya threatens to bomb N Korean tanker
- Bahrain 'producing 850MW of surplus power'
- 2,000 experts for Bahrain geosciences summit
- Libyan rebels start oil exports, bypassing govt
- Dubai drilling company set for London IPO
- Opec output soars on higher Iraq exports
- S Korea to pay Iran $550m under nuke deal
- Qatar LPG exports will stay unchanged till 2018
- $14bn Bahrain energy sector focus for summit
- Iraq now world's fastest-growing oil exporter