Dubai aquarium 'acrylic panel’ sets Guinness record
Dubai, November 1, 2008
Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre in The Dubai Mall, which opens its doors on November 4, has clinched the Guinness World Record for the ‘World’s Largest Acrylic Panel’.
Measuring 32.88 metres wide (x 8.3 metres high x 750 mm thick) and weighing 245,614 kg, the acrylic viewing panel surpasses the current Guinness World Record holder, Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa, Japan, at 22.5 metres wide (x 8.2 metres high and 600 mm thick).
The new record is expected to be featured in the upcoming edition of the Guinness Book of World Records in 2010.
The acrylic viewing panel was at the limit of production abilities by major acrylic manufacturers when the project was commissioned.
This implies that the Guinness World Record for the ‘World’s Largest Acrylic Panel’ at Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre is set to stay until industry-approved manufacturing capabilities are redrawn to enable the production of bigger panels.
The viewing panel was commissioned under the supervision of Oceanis Australia Group, the aquarium designer and operator.
At 750 mm thick, the acrylic viewing panel is built to withstand the enormous pressure of 10 million litres of water used in the aquarium, but transparent enough to give visitors clear views of the 33,000 plus marine animals on display.
'This is a terrific Guinness World Record and exemplifies the dedication and passion that make some of our best records,' John Pilley, adjudicator, Guinness World Records said
The record-breaking achievement bears testimony to the sheer magnificence of Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre, a key opening day attraction in The Dubai Mall, said a mall official.
Yousif Al Ali, General Manager, The Dubai Mall said: “Dubai Aquarium & Discovery Centre at The Dubai Mall is setting history with the Guinness World Record for the ‘World’s Largest Acrylic Panel’. With this record-breaking achievement, we are also highlighting the capabilities of Emaar and Dubai to undertake and execute projects of global significance.”
'The aquarium has been one of the most highly anticipated key attractions at The Dubai Mall, as it brings the splendours of the marine world to the people of Dubai. We specially designed the acrylic viewing panel to offer larger-than life views of the sharks, rays and 33,000 living animals on display.'
'The Guinness World Record adds to the world-class experience to this attraction and it’s free to view for all our visitors,' he added.
Pilley said, 'Dubai has many exciting world record achievements and now The Dubai Mall will join that illustrious list with the ‘Largest Acrylic Panel’, once again reiterating the can-do attitude of Dubai.'
The Dubai Mall is one of the world’s largest shopping and entertainment destinations. Dubai Aquarium and Discovery Centre is one of the opening attractions and will feature over 33,000 aquatic animals in due course, representing more than 85 species including sharks and rays.
A 270-degree walkthrough tunnel allows for some incredible close-encounter experiences to delight mall visitors. Above the aquarium is the interactive and educational Discovery Centre, taking the visitor through various aquatic environments.
The aquarium is being developed and operated by Oceanis Australia Group, the world’s largest aquarium owner and operator – both by number of customers and volumes of display.
The Dubai Mall has adopted an International Standard of Ethics and Animal Welfare Policy in the development and operation of Dubai Aquarium & Discovery Centre, and is in line with international best practices of animal care and aquarium operation.
With a total internal floor area of 5.9 million sq ft, The Dubai Mall will have 3.77 million sq ft of gross leasable space and host more than 1,200 retail outlets including two anchor department stores, Galeries Lafayette and B
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Acer targets double digit growth in Saudi
- Origin offers a chance to win luxury doors
- Big jewellery show opens in Abu Dhabi
- Casio offers G-Shock in camouflage patterns
- AdvanTag to launch mobile app in Dubai
- Bahrain Duty Free plans $2.6m revamp
- Sennheiser unveils new microphone system
- Centrepoint opens 100th store in Dubai
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector