Majid Al Futtaim eyes $817m Syria project
Dubai, March 16, 2010
UAE's Majid Al Futtaim (MAF) Properties is planning an $817 million shopping mall and office project in Syria, as it seeks new markets in the Middle East and North Africa.
The firm, famous for building an indoor ski slope in Dubai, and which typically enters markets with French retailer Carrefour as anchor tenant of its malls, will fund the project with its own financing and with banks in Syria, its chief executive said.
'It will be a 3 billion UAE dirhams ($816.8 million) project, 1 million square metres of land, and will have a mall, hotels and office buildings,' MAF chief executive Peter Walichnowski told Reuters on the sidelines of its 430-store Mirdif City Centre opening in Dubai.
Walichnowski said MAF, which is owned by UAE's billionaire businessman Majid Al-Futtaim, is in talks to build large malls in Yemen and Saudi Arabia.
The company has 10 operating malls in the Middle East and North Africa and plans to more than double its portfolio by 2015 with 14 new projects in the UAE, Oman, Egypt, Lebanon, Syria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Yemen.
Walichnowski said the company's malls have shown resilience to the global economic crisis and did not see a significant drop in sales in 2009.
'We'll see more positive sentiment building up this year,' he said.
Dubai's retail sales in 2009 are estimated to have dropped up to 30 percent across the emirate. However, no official retail data is available. -Reuters
More Retail & Wholesale Stories
- Panasonic to showcase top AV solutions in Dubai
- Alhokair eyes US, UK buys; plans debut sukuk
- 20 countries back Abu Dhabi jewellery show
- SanDisk launches 128GB memory card
- Canon launches 30x zoom PowerShot
- Bin Hindi unveils new 'Twenty20' sales plan
- Nokia tops UAE mobile handsets market
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- P&G wins product innovation awards
- Xerox names MEA general manager
- India's Bharti group mulls Carrefour tieup
- Etisalat opens retail shop in Dubai Mall
- Ultra wealthy to spend more on luxury goods
- Kuwait group inks JV deal with China jeweller
- MAF in deal to set up retail academy
- Samsung, UPB sign deal to supply AC systems
- Samsung showcases latest UHD monitors
- Unilever named 'employer of choice' in Saudi
- New Nokia Asha range arrives in Bahrain
- Canon launches 2 compact B&W MFPs
- MAF to build new mall in Dubai IMPZ
- Big growth seen for Mideast retail sector
- Rosette, GoExport enter partnership deal
- Samsung opens new outlet in Abu Dhabi
- Epson launches new thermal receipt printer
- Utoor Perfumes signs deal with Mezaj Arabia
- UAE group opens supermarket in Bahrain
- Marks & Spencer opens big store in Kuwait
- UAE clothing imports soar to $960m
- Samsung launches 2 wearable tech devices