Royal Jordanian readies bid for Austrian Airlines
Vienna, July 18, 2008
Jordan's airline Royal Jordanian is preparing an offer for the Austrian state's stake in loss-making Austrian Airlines and may file it as early as next week, an Austrian newspaper reported on Friday.
Royal Jordanian, which was the first Arab airline to be privatised last year, has hired PricewaterhouseCooper to advise it on the bid, Austria's Wiener Zeitung daily reported, quoting unidentified diplomatic sources.
A spokeswoman for the Austrian government's holding company OeIAG declined to comment on the report. She said OeIAG was not entitled to discuss a sale of its stake before it received a government mandate to sell it.
Royal Jordanian was not immediately available to comment. The Austrian government has asked Boston Consulting Group and Merrill Lynch to review the options for the carrier, which last month predicted it would make a loss of up to 90 million euros ($143 million) this year due to rising kerosene prices.
The review will be presented to Austrian Airline's supervisory board on July 28. The outgoing Austrian government is deeply split about a possible sale of the stake.
Austrian Airline's shares hit all-time lows this month as oil prices climbed to record highs. It closed at 2.39 euros on Thursday, having lost 62 percent so far this year.-Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares