ADIC to buy stake in Russian resort
Abu Dhabi, June 5, 2009
State-owned Abu Dhabi Investment Company (ADIC) said on Friday it is buying a stake in a Russian resort being built for the 2014 Winter Olympics in the Black Sea resort of Sochi.
ADIC joins Russia's largest bank Sberbank Rossii which has a 25.01 percent stake in the project, ADIC said in a statment without disclosing the value or how much stake it would take.
ADIC and Sberbank are joined by the government of the Krasnodar region, the government of the city of Sochi and other partners in the project, with the financing support of Vnesheconombank, it said.
Russia said earlier this week it will slash its state budget for the Winter Olympics by more than $600 million due to the economic crisis but promised that state-controlled companies would make up the difference.
This is ADIC's first investment in Russia and the first investment from the United Arab Emirates in Olympic games facilities.
Gornaya Karusel which will be home to the Russian National Ski-jumping Centre from 2012 onwards, will offer over 200 kilometres of ski slopes, and 28 cable lift stations.-Reuters
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Abu Dhabi MICE sector ‘growth to continue’
- Etihad appoints senior VP sales
- Air Arabia to distribute 7.25pc cash dividends
- Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan opens
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog