Mauritius to hold roadshow in GCC
Port-Louis, February 10, 2011
Mauritius will organise a road show in the UAE and other Gulf Countries this year as a means to attract Arab investors on the Indian Ocean Island, said a senior government official.
Mauritius Industry and Commerce Minister Showkutally Soodhun, who arrived from a three-day visit in the UAE, said he met various persons to help in the process.
“In Abu Dhabi, I met Sheikha Lubna Bint Khalid Al Qasimi and we have very fruitful discussions on ways of enhancing bilateral relations in trade and investment,” Soodhun said.
“Sheikha Lubna also emphasised on the African dimension in the UAE trade policies for serving economic strategy and comprehensive development and invited Mauritius to participate in the Comesa Investment Conference in March and the Annual Investment Meeting in May.”
Soodhun also announced important discussions with key stakeholders from the UAE over the importation of petrol, flour and investment in the textile, banking and tourism sector as well as the duty free island concept.
“We need to have a backup plan and the UAE can help us in case of a lack of petrol or flour and have announced they that will help us to develop the island as we are politically stable,” said Soodhun.
“I have more than 20 years acquaintances with the UAE but was amazed to hear how the Emiratis found Mauritius as a safe place to invest their money."
Soodhun also praised the UAE non-resident ambassador to Mauritius who has residence in Pakistan, Ali Saif Sultan Al Awani.
“He made all his way from Islamabad to see to it that I receive a good welcome and also the Prime Minister who was on transit in Dubai. He is very dynamic and I am sure he had very good contacts in the region to help us for the Road Show,” Soodhun added.
The Mauritius Minister pointed out that his meeting in Dubai with Sheik Majid Al Muallah, senior vice president Emirates Airlines, was very enriching on how the airline can help in the road show but also in participating in the corporate social responsibility programme of the Island. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad appoints senior VP sales
- Air Arabia to distribute 7.25pc cash dividends
- Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan opens
- Top firms plan Dubai World Central move
- Ferrari Land theme park to open in Spain
- Hilton to open 125-room hotel in Saudi
- Abu Dhabi runway closed for upgradation work
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued