Jumeirah to offer pearl diving experience
Dubai, February 12, 2012
Jumeirah Group, the Dubai-based luxury hospitality company and a member of Dubai Holding, is launching a traditional pearl diving experience.
Starting March 2, guests and visitors to Jumeirah Hotels & Resorts will have a chance to learn about and experience the ancient pearling traditions that were once the main source of income for inhabitants of the region.
Dressed in traditional clothing, participants board an authentic dhow boat off the shores of Jebel Ali and use original pearl diving methods to collect oysters in the shallow waters of the Gulf.
The Pavilion Dive Centre at Jumeirah Beach Hotel is running this cultural activity in partnership with the Emirates Marine Environmental Group (EMEG).
Participants meet at Jumeirah Beach Hotel and are transported by bus to Palm Jebel Ali where they are briefed and provided with traditional diving clothes to change into prior to boarding the dhow.
On board the dhow, guests will take part in activities such as singing and story-telling and will be served typical Emirati fish and rice dishes for lunch. They will dive to depths of around three to five metres and people who find pearls will be able to keep them as a souvenir, a statement said. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Boeing wins $7bn Cathay Pacific order
- Qatar Airways launches online visa system
- Etihad in talks on $413m Alitalia investment
- W Doha Hotel wins top award
- Boom time for UAE hospitality sector
- Sanad, airberlin ink financing deal
- Major cruise liner docks at Abu Dhabi port
- Etihad, Greek airline sign codeshare
- Flynas scores 91pc in customer satisfaction
- Flora plans $204m property expansion in Dubai