InterCon to open 442-room resort in RAK
Ras Al Khaimah, September 20, 2012
InterContinental Hotels Group, one of the world’s largest hotel groups by number of rooms, has signed an agreement with Kuwaiti-owned Almadina Real Estate Development to open a 442-room Crowne Plaza resort in Ras Al Khaimah.
The hotel is currently under development on the man-made Marjan Island, giving it the ideal seafront resort location for attracting leisure and business tourism, said a statement from IHG.
Scheduled to open in 2015, Crowne Plaza Resort RAK will span more than 18,000 sq m and feature nine food and beverage outlets.
These include an all-day dining restaurant with show kitchen, an alfresco dining terrace, a cigar lounge, two coffee shops, a pool bar, and traditional bar and nightclub.
Corporate guests from the region are well catered for with an expert Crowne Plaza events team and six state-of-the-art meeting rooms. The hotel's state-of-the-art leisure and fitness facilities will include a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon, as well as nursery and indoor souk.
The resort will be located on the 2.7 million sq m Marjan Island development. Close to RAK Airport and only an hour's drive from Dubai the resort is expected to attract both international tourists and local UAE residents.
Pascal Gauvin, IHG's chief operating officer, for India, Middle East and Africa, said: "The Marjan Island development is set to become an exciting destination, and it is the perfect setting for our first Crowne Plaza Resort in the UAE."
"Offering an idyllic beachfront setting, a fantastic selection of F&B options, and all the services and facilities you normally associate with Crowne Plaza, we expect the resort to set a new benchmark for the brand," Gauvin remarked.
Abdulmutaleb Khraibut, the member of the board, Al Madina Real Estate Development, said: "RAK is evolving into an unique tourist destination and we have secured one of the best locations in the emirate for our development."
"Combining this with IHG's management experience and the Crowne Plaza brand, we are confident that the resort will quickly gain popularity as a destination in itself," he stated.
Commenting on the new venture, Victor Louis, the chief operating officer, Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority, said, "We are delighted to increase our portfolio of international hotel brands by introducing the prestigious brand of Crowne Plaza to RAK, marking the entry of the first IHG property to the emirate."
The resort will become the second IHG-managed hotel in the emirate when it opens, with an InterContinental due to open in 2014, said Gauvin.
There are 64 Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts in more than 60 countries around the world, including 5 in the UAE. An additional 18 Crowne Plaza hotels are in the global development pipeline, he added.-TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad to fly three times a day to Moscow
- Etihad Regional to lease 4 ATR aircraft
- Etihad soars high with record $6.1bn revenue
- Plaza opens lounges at Bengaluru
- Mövenpick opens organic hotel in Egypt
- Abu Dhabi to expand trade engagement programme
- WTO in deal to promote adventure travel
- Iata cuts global airline profit forecast to $18.7bn
- Gulf Hotels plans $132m waterfront property in Dubai
- Yas Island targets German tourist trade
- Sharq Doha unveils Al Dana Garden
- Beacon technology 'ideal' to aviation industry
- Emergency drill to take place at Amman airport
- JA Resorts to launch high-end resort In Maldives
- $5.3bn hotel projects coming up in Saudi
- Hilton appoints new GM for Alexandria hotel
- Air Arabia opens new sales office in Bahrain
- Lufthansa aims high with 'First Class' service
- Emirates launches new service to Boston
- Dubai Airports 'powers down' for green initiative
- City Seasons opens 5-star hotel in Abu Dhabi
- Etihad alert on fog
- Bahrain F1 visa procedures issued
- Oman Air appoints GSA for Turkey
- $40bn investment in Gulf airports likely
- Celebrity chef to open restaurant at InterContinental
- FRHI appoints wellness vice president
- Dubai, Abu Dhabi hotels top performance
- Malaysia Airlines jet presumed crashed, 239 onboard
- BA rolls out special Mother's Day fares