Oman Air launches Muscat-Jaaluni route
Muscat, November 20, 2012
Oman Air, the national carrier of the Sultanate, has launched a service operating three direct flights a week between Muscat and Jaaluni on the southern coast of Oman.
Yahya bin Said Al Jabri, chairman of the board of the Special Economic Zone Authority in Duqm was the chief guest for the inauguration of the service. The flight was preceded by a cake-cutting ceremony at Muscat International Airport.
“The launch of this direct air route between Muscat International Airport and Jaaluni is the result of the continuous cooperation and coordination between the Special Economic Zone Authority of Duqm, Oman Air and various state agencies working for the development of Duqm,” Al Jabri said.
“Certainly, this air route will link Al Wusta Governorate with the rest of the Sultanate, and will furthermore assist citizens, businessmen and investors to save up to five hours of travel time, as currently the only route to reach Jaaluni from Muscat is by road and takes about 6 hours, while the flight between Muscat and Jaaluni takes approximately one hour thirty minutes. Also, the current frequency of 3 flights a week to Jaaluni airport is adequate for the time being.”
“The integration process between infrastructure and social development, as directed by His Majesty, is evident in such steps and projects, as shipping lines and domestic flights usually shorten the length of time between destinations, and hence save time, money and other resources.
“We consider the operation of this sector between Muscat and Jaaluni as adding to the series of successful undertaken initiatives that are aimed at promoting and developing the infrastructure in the region,” he added.
Oman Air’s chief executive officer Wayne Pearce, said: “We are pleased to be launching a new charter service between Muscat and Jaaluni from 19th November. This will provide an important boost for the economic development of the city, which is currently undergoing a major transformation.
“In addition to providing a much-needed air transport link with Muscat, the new service underlines Oman Air’s commitment to supporting economic growth and increased prosperity throughout the Sultanate. This is also a vital step in the expansion of Oman Air’s domestic routes, enabled by the creation of new airports.”
The new charter service is being launched following an agreement between Oman Air and DSEZA and will help to boost investment in this key industrial centre.
With a land area of 1771 sq km and 80 km of coastline along the Arabian Sea connected to the Indian Ocean, the Duqm Special Economic Zone Authority (SEZAD) offers an attractive package of investment incentives and tax cuts that aim at enhancing the business environment for the private sector and improve its competitive standing.
The master plan of the area includes zones for light and medium industries, petrochemical complex, oil refinery and fishing port and residential and commercial facilities. – TradeArabia News Service
More Travel, Tourism & Hospitality Stories
- Etihad in move to clear flights backlog
- Tourism industry emerges from downturn
- Airbus orders more frequent A380 checks
- Dubai Mall stand offers air safety tips
- Elaf Group plans new hotel in Makkah
- UPDATE: Abu Dhabi airport starts operation
- Qatar Airways mulls options on 3 extra A380s
- RAK features 9 travel firms at ITB Berlin
- Etihad names Patrick Vieira guest ambassador
- Lufthansa to offer Premium Economy Class
- Ras Al Khaimah TDA appoints new CEO
- Abu Dhabi flights hit by 'technical failure'
- Egypt urges Germany to ease travel advisory
- Qatar Airways to get 3 A380s in June
- Paramount eyes expansion in region
- All EU citizens exempt from pre-entry UAE visas
- Sofitel to open in Downtown Dubai
- Women’s role in aviation focus for summit
- Turkish, Singapore Airlines expand codeshare
- Global air passenger traffic up 7.8pc in Jan
- Hilton to open 41-storey hotel in Pearl-Qatar
- Graffiti area at the Great Wall
- Dubai hotels welcome 11m guests
- Wyndham signs for 4th hotel in Turkey
- Mideast carriers top global air freight growth
- IFA Hotels unveils fresh brand identity
- Turkish Airlines launches Rotterdam flights
- RJ to operate Amman-Kuwait twice daily
- JCDecaux unveils digital screens at Dubai airport
- EU awaits surge in UAE corporate travellers