Saturday 28 May 2022
 
»
 
»
Story

Yemen refinery resumes trial production

Aden, June 20, 2011

Yemen's Aden refinery, shut for nearly two months following a blast that damaged the country's main oil pipeline, will resume production after receiving a shipment of Saudi-donated crude, a refinery official told Reuters on Monday.

"The refinery today began experimental operations after suspension of more than two months due to the halt of crude pipeline from Marib," the official said.

Months of pro-democracy protests against President Ali Abdullah Saleh's 33-year rule have sparked clashes between government forces and tribesmen, killing dozens.

Violence included a blast on the country's main oil pipeline in mid-March which stopped the flow of light Marib crude to the refinery, bringing it to a halt and triggering country-wide fuel shortages.

If trial production goes well, the refinery will start normal production later on Monday, the official said, at one of its two units with a capacity of 75,000 barrels per day.

He added that the total capacity of the refinery has been raised. "We have now 150,000 bpd capacity in two units, with each unit at 75,000 bpd. We have done an upgrade on the facilities."

Four more shipments are due from Saudi Arabia, the world's biggest oil exporter, which donated 3 million barrels of oil to Yemen.

The first shipment of 600,000 barrels arrived in the port of Aden last week. – Reuters




Tags: Refinery | yemen | production | Aden | Saudi crude |

More Energy, Oil & Gas Stories

calendarCalendar of Events

Ads