Istithmar studies Barneys finances
Dubai, September 2, 2009
Istithmar World is working to improve Barneys New York's financial situation and is committed to the retailer despite tough market conditions, the Dubai-based group has said.
Barneys is seeking a debt restructuring or bankruptcy filing, which may lead to owner Istithmar losing control over the retailer, media reports had said.
'Istithmar remains fully committed to Barneys and supportive of its management team,' the Dubai-based firm said.
'These are challenging times for retailers, and the company continues to work aggressively to improve its financial position.'
Istithmar is one of the flagship companies of state-owned Dubai World, whose real estate unit Nakheel is struggling to refinance a $3.52 billion Islamic bond maturing in December.
Istithmar in August hired an advisory firm to help it mull options to shore up the luxury chain's financial position.-Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- GIH picks ex-Barclays banker as investment head
- Jeddah Economic Company names new CEO
- Saudi real GDP growth surges to 3.1pc in Q3
- UAE business activity growth hits record high
- Global Islamic banking assets ‘set to top $1.7trn’
- Egypt back in business, says new survey
- United Arab Bank backs UAE-Turkey business
- Islamic finance 'facing integration challenge'
- Bahrain tops in developed Islamic finance sector
- DME sets new trading records