Gulf Bank swings to Q4, yearly profit
Kuwait, February 2, 2011
Gulf Bank, which was rescued by the Kuwaiti central bank two years ago during the financial crisis, swung to fourth quarter and full year profit, it said on Wednesday.
Gulf Bank had net profit of KD8.66 million ($31 million) in the fourth quarter, according to Reuters calculations, reversing a net loss of KD21.05 million in the prior-year period.
The bank earned 2010 net profit of KD19.06 million against a net loss of KD28.07 million in 2009, according to a statement to the bourse on Wednesday.
Reuters calculated quarterly profit from previous financial statements. Gulf Bank made a profit of KD10.4 million in the nine months to September 30.
The global financial crisis hit the Kuwaiti banking sector hard as significant losses on investment portfolios became apparent and lending conditions tightened.
In 2008, Gulf Bank was rescued by the central bank after derivatives losses and the sovereign wealth fund, Kuwait Investment Authority, owns a 16-per cent stake. Its troubles prompted the government to guarantee all deposits in local banks to restore confidence.
Shares in Gulf Bank ended 1.8 per cent lower on Wednesday, bringing losses for the year so far to 3.5 per cent.-Reuters
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- Seera total income rises to $34m
- NBAD approves 40pc cash dividends
- NBAD sees 8-10pc loan growth
- Al Basel Group launches investment arm
- Union Insurance posts $18m profit
- Oman warns banks on conflicts of interest
- Japan to lend Tunisia $480m
- 400 to join anti-laundering seminar in Riyadh
- Lebanese insurer to head Prague Club
- UAE's first REIT plans $135m IPO
- Bahrain banking industry outlook 'positive'
- New India Assurance opens Bahrain branch
- Qatar sets up mixed business incubator
- Kuwait budget spending up 8pc in April-Jan
- Thomson Reuters to host Mena IFR awards
- ADIB offers smartphone industry investment
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- KFH completes ICT project upgrade
- Egypt urban annual inflation slows to 9.8pc
- BIBF signs deal with Palestinian institute
- Bahrain’s GDP set to expand 12pc
- KFH-Bahrain rebrands priority banking
- Bank Nizwa wins top Islamic bank award
- Qatar labour costs may jump: IMF
- Kuwait Q3 trade surplus hits $23bn
- Dubai trade growth up 7.6pc to $362bn
- Deloitte appoints new managing director
- Al Ramz tops UAE trading in Feb
- IFC in $150m loan deal with Bank Audi
- SME funding focus for Abu Dhabi forum