NBAD names key official for Hong Kong
Abu Dhabi/Hong Kong, December 19, 2013
The National Bank of Abu Dhabi (NBAD) has appointed Bernard Shum as the head of Corporate & Institutional Banking in Hong Kong to lead the expansion of the bank’s business and partnership in Asia.
“NBAD- Hong Kong serves as one of our hubs and the bank is actively growing its business in Asia. We have confidence in Bernard’s ability to strengthen NBAD’s distinguished status in Asia,” said Qamber Ali Al Mulla, senior managing director and chief executive officer of Gulf & International at NBAD.
“Companies in greater China are increasingly growing their business links with the Gulf, and our region’s interest in the Far East also continues to grow. As the Number One Bank in the UAE with the vision to be the World’s Best Arab Bank, we have strategised to be the enabler of this trend, which is part of our West-East Corridor Strategy.”
NBAD-Hong Kong serves as NBAD’s hub for business in Greater China, Korea and Japan, and is one of the eight NBAD has strategised to have in the West-East Corridor.
In Asia, NBAD-Hong Kong will be complemented by a hub in Singapore, which would serve Southeast Asia, Australia and Papua New Guinea; and in Mumbai for business in the Indian Subcontinent. NBAD plans to open both hubs in 2014.
NBAD’s other hubs are or will be in Abu Dhabi, Lagos, London, Paris, and Washington, D.C.
Shum joined NBAD-Hong Kong from Hang Seng Bank where he was deputy head of Syndicated Finance, Commercial Real Estate and Corporate Advisory. Overall, he possesses over 20 years of experience in corporate banking and structured finance at various global financial institutions including BNP Paribas, Fortis and JP Morgan Chase. In addition to his track record in Hong Kong, Shum also spent eight years working in New York.
“Bernard Shum’s experience and contacts in the industry complements his extensive skills; he will cultivate and deepen relationships across Asia,” says Ernest Law, Country CEO & managing director Wholesale- NBAD- Hong Kong. “Bernard will build on our success in Asia.”
NBAD-Hong Kong was launched in 2009. The Bank engages in business through Asia and Greater China in parallel with NBAD’s Representative Office in Shanghai.
“NBAD’s strong fundamentals and brand make it the ideal institution for growth and penetration in Asia where companies are increasingly focused on opportunities in the Gulf. I’m very excited with the challenge and prospects ashes,” said Shum.
Shum holds an MBA degree from PACE University in the US. – TradeArabia News Service
More Finance & Capital Market Stories
- PiSlice, du partner to encourage micro-lending
- Bank Alkhair swings to $4.7m profit
- BMI launches new personal loan promotion
- Experts shed light on key Fatca legislation
- Saudi inflation plunges to four-year low
- UAE investment appetite 'strengthens' says expert
- Dubai mulls rule change to woo domiciled funds
- UAE, Abu Dhabi roll over $20bn of Dubai's debt
- Saudi can achieve 4.4pc growth this year
- Emaar listing of retail unit 'within months'
- Dubai Investments nets $29m profits
- Compliance officers facing diverse pressures, says study
- Abu Dhabi finance dept inks deal with Ajman
- Kuwait registers 8pc credit growth
- Bahrain Sico funds net solid returns
- Emaar proposes 15pc cash dividends
- ABG units win top Islamic finance award
- Finance House approves 25pc cash dividends
- Qatar 'most expensive country in Gulf'
- Egypt regulator sets rules for index
- Dubai Islamic eyes Kenya, Indonesia for expansion
- ADCB to buy back 3pc of its shares
- GCC insurance growth outpaces developed markets
- Bahrain 'faces budget deficit, inflation challenges'
- Global Payment Services wins key certification
- BBK unveils big India expansion plans
- Kuwait GDP growth to hit 3.5pc in 2014
- Gulf shares tumble over EM exposure cut
- GCC bonds to gain from macro-economic climate
- French Business Council Dubai members up 18pc