Bahrain set to launch infrastructure projects
Manama , July 20, 2011
Construction projects, comprising mainly infrastructure and affordable housing, worth billions of dollars are expected to be launched in Bahrain in the next few months, said a senior official.
'We have seen some of our darkest days early this year,' said Bahrain Chamber of Commerce and Industry contractors committee chairman Samir Nass.
'However, we could now be in for a major revival, with 2012 to be one of the best years in a long time.
'A massive new project to convert the Alba Roundabout to a multi-level flyover and underpass, a new rig road in Juffair and a large number of affordable housing projects for Bahraini families are in the pipeline.'
This is in addition to several roads projects to be announced as well as others nearing completion.
'The multi-million dinar North Manama Causeway Project will be nearing completion and the Mina Salman Interchange Project will be well underway by the end of the year,' said Nass.
He said there was an emphasis on affordable housing for low-income Bahrainis as well as improving the infrastructure.
'Billions of dinars are to be pumped into these two vital sectors,' said Nass. 'Several projects are already underway, but there will certainly be a lot of activity in the first half of next year.'
Nass said the contracting industry had lost millions in the last few years due to the global economic downturn and the ensuing quiet period in the construction business.
'This has been compounded by shortages and pricing of cement and steel as well as transportation issues that have all combined to hit us hard,' said Nass.
He said the political situation in Bahrain in the last few months also did not help, with the industry again taking a severe hit, with many major projects being affected.
'The situation is fast returning to normal and it is only a matter of time before the industry bounces back,' Nass added.
The BD50 million ($132.6 million) Isa Town Interchange Project is expected to be completed by August, while a BD25 million contract for the Mina Salman Interchange Project has just been awarded with work expected to begin in a few weeks.
The BD98 million North Manama Causeway Project is also well underway, with work expected to be completed in early 2013. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings