Work to start next month on $66m interchange
Manama, March 12, 2012
Work is set to begin next month on a new BD25 million ($66.3 million) interchange project in Bahrain, said a senior government official while warning motorists about possible traffic chaos as the digging begins.
Key road diversions will be in place as the project to connect the Isa bin Salman Highway with the Shaikh Khalifa Bridge gets underway, added Works Minister Essam Khalaf.
He added that he hoped the diversions for the Mina Salman Interchange project would keep the disruption to a minimum.
'We have had detailed studies how to divert traffic to expedite work on the project,' the minister said. 'People will be inconvenienced but this work has to be done.'
Khalaf said contractors have been brought from India and Dubai to fast-track work on the project following concerns it was taking too long.
'We have addressed those concerns and summoned contractors' representatives from Dubai and India to speed up work,' he said.
'They have assured us the project deadline of 28 months, starting from August last year, will be met.'
More than 74,000 vehicles, of which 24 per cent are heavy trucks, pas through the junction daily, said Works Ministry roads planning and maintenance director Raed Al Salah.
'During morning peak hours alone, the number of vehicles crossing the interchange reaches 8,000 vehicles.'
Meanwhile, contractors said additional resources and plans have been put in place to complete the project on time.
'We are confident that we can achieve this considering our expertise and long history of professionalism,' said India-based Afcons Infrastructure Limited general supervisor Naseer Al Yasri.
'One of the procedures we have taken is increasing the number of workers and also working hours. We have also provided sufficient machines and equipment needed.' – TradeArabia News Service