Drake & Scull wins projects worth $354m in Q1
Dubai, April 10, 2012
Drake & Scull International (DSI), a regional leader in design, engineering and construction, secured Dh1.3 billion ($354 million) in project awards across the Mena region in the first quarter of 2012, its CEO said.
It expects its local Qatari arm Drake & Scull Qatar (DSQ) to increasingly contribute to the growth of the company with the recent establishment of its rail and civil divisions which will complement its existing MEP and water power operations, added Khaldoun Tabari.
“Tenders for major projects in the hospitality, rail and the infrastructure sectors are underway in Quarter two and we are currently bidding across all our business lines,” Tabari added.
“We anticipate rising pressures on pricing levels given the severe competition and the costs associated with the sourcing of the necessary human and technical resources to cater for such large scale projects.”
“The construction boom in Qatar serves as a major incentive for engineering specialists to invest in more advanced and innovative construction solutions to cater to the fast-changing needs of the construction industry as tender activities and project awards momentum picks up,” Tabari noted.
“While Qatar increasingly generates global attention, the quality, reliability and sustainability of the projects being undertaken across the country are likewise being subjected to greater scrutiny exerting momentous pressures on contractors to comply with International quality and safety standards,” he added.
DSI Qatar has a large number of ongoing and completed high-profile projects and is equipped to take part in other developments that are critical components of the government’s roadmap to the FIFA World Cup 2022, he said.
Saleh Muradweij, managing director of Drake & Scull Construction, the civil contracting arm of DSI, said: “DSI Qatar has worked on several major projects in Qatar since early 2006, including the Four Seasons Hotel, the Qtel Tower and the Doha Land project.”
“We have solid history of consistent growth and our integrated Civil, MEP and Water and Power capabilities, give us a competitive edge in Qatar’s highly dynamic construction market. The energetic pace of construction activities in Qatar has certainly opened a huge window of opportunity to accelerate our growth plans and further expand our scope to cater to a much broader range of projects, including upcoming mega-projects across the country.”
“Additionally, as Qatar becomes one of the more lucrative project markets in the world, the focus on quality, innovation and sustainability remains a very important consideration. DSI Qatar has therefore aggressively invested in more advanced technologies, talent and best practices to address these specific concerns,” Muradweij added. – TradeArabia News Service
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract
- Work to start on Bahrain beach project
- Damac launches luxury apartments at Expo site
- Kuwaitis top GCC property buyers in Oman
- Rubber World to showcase at Big 5 Saudi
- Tool to help create effective property listings
- 'Smart' move by Dubai Design District
- Drake unit wins $13m contract in India
- Solar-powered cleaning boats launched in Sharjah
- $27m Expo Hotel Sharjah deal signed
- Arabtec unit wins $282m Emaar contract
- Abu Dhabi to host pool & spa expo
- ADCM unit secures $213m bridging loan
- Cluttons Dubai launches new luxury apartments