Bahrain’s $66m interchange project on track
Manama, July 1, 2012
More than 400 people are working round-the-clock to ensure work a BD25 million ($66.31 million) interchange project in Bahrain is completed on schedule, said a senior government official.
Works Minister Essam Khalaf, who recently toured the Mina Salman Interchange project, said the two-month afternoon work ban that comes into effect today would not affect progress.
'All efforts have been made to make sure work continues at a good pace,' he said. 'More workers have now been engaged to complete critical parts of the project.'
Khalaf said 19 per cent of the work had already been completed.
'It is on schedule to be completed by the end of next year,' he said. 'It is possible it may have an early completion, but that will be announced as work progresses. We are monitoring developments and keeping track.'
More than 74,000 vehicles, 24 per cent of which are heavy vehicles, pass through the junction daily and during peak hours, the number of vehicles crossing the interchange reaches 8,000.
Officials said traffic at the site, which has been diverted for several months now, continued to run smoothly.
'The diversions took place after careful planning and motorists are generally happy at the way it has been planned,' they said.
Meanwhile, Khalaf said companies from India and Southeast Asia were being encouraged to bid for infrastructure projects in Bahrain due to their expertise and experience in the field.
'They will, however, be asked to work in tandem with Bahraini contractors, who are familiar with local conditions,' he said.
The minister earlier said representatives of contractors, Indian company Afcons Infrastructure, had been summoned from their offices in Dubai and India to fast-track work on the project following concerns it was taking too long.
However, Khalaf said those concerns had been addressed and work had been speeded up. – TradeArabia News Service