UAE plans to build first green road
Abu Dhabi, December 30, 2013
The UAE has announced plans to build the region's first green road - a 5 km pilot project linking existing Abu Dhabi-Dubai main road, said a report.
The construction work is expected to begin in the first quarter of 2015, reported the Emirates News Agency (WAM).
The Department of Transport said the project will be a model for future-to-be-built roads in Abu Dhabi as it will support the highest sustainable practices adopted worldwide such as novel technologies and solutions to lower carbon emissions, as well as environment-friendly construction material such as recycled asphalt/concrete aggregates and scrap rubber tyres, the WAM reported.
In addition, the project will use most efficient environment-friendly solutions such as renewable energy for lighting.
The DoT is collaborating with reputable international institutes and consultants as well as strategic stakeholders, namely the Urban Planning Council Estidama Programme Team, the Environment Agency in Abu Dhabi and Masdar, it added.
More Construction & Real Estate Stories
- Emaar rules out plans for new tall tower
- Barwa net profit surges 27.3pc
- RAK Properties adds new villas to Flamingo project
- Saudi launches housing scheme to ease shortage
- R&M wins Oman residential project contract
- Asian skyscraper prices tower over rest of the world
- Tamleek opens new office in Dubai
- $29m allocated for Bahrain drainage projects
- Indian group plans $300m Bahrain Bay investment
- Drake and Scull awards key supply contract
- FCC wins $702m Doha metro line contract
- SPF Realty sees Dubai project success
- Abu Dhabi set for big property show
- Aldar working on $1.5bn UAE housing projects
- Gulf Finance House to start $3bn Tunisia project
- Abu Dhabi to see 10pc surge in new homes
- Saudi construction sector booming on new contracts
- Emaar offers 330 apartments in MBR City
- Dubai Design District sees big demand
- HUGE DEAL: Arabtec inks $40bn Egypt housing project
- Galfar ex-CEO gets 15 years' jail over bribes
- $32m BFH car park work underway
- Bahrain awards $5.8m project tenders
- Spinneys to set up distribution centre at Kizad
- Dubai unveils $300m hitech 'green' city project
- Deyaar plans $245m Dubai complex
- IFA unveils $272m Dubai mixed-use project
- CBRE tops Fortune’s most admired firms list
- Kuwait's real estate sales hit $1.1bn in Jan
- Dubai RTA awards $27m roads contract