Dubai blast kills 1; four warehouses destroyed
Dubai, March 26, 2008
A huge blast that rocked Dubai's Al Quoz industrial area early this morning is believed to have caused the death of at least one person. Four warehouses were destroyed by the explosion and resulting fire, said a report.
A large black cloud of smoke could be seen billowing into the air, said the Gulfnews.com report. The fire beagn around 7 am.
It has been reported that the fire started in a firecracker warehouse.
All routes towards the industrial area have been closed off.
The fire has been brought under control around 10.15am, the report said.
'It felt like an earthquake and the explosion shook the windows and glass of nearby buildings,' said a witness. After the first huge explosion, there were some minor explosions for almost five minutes, he said.
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- MAG boosts Iraq shipping capacity by 60pc
- Sabic to distribute $2.4bn dividends in H2
- Pearl diving 'regains popularity' in Bahrain
- AerCap to buy AIG aircraft leasing unit for $5.4bn
- Safco to pay $1.6 per share cash dividend
- UAE ranked 17th globally for merchandise export
- Investments in Saudi plastics sector hit $50bn
- Asry Bahrain overhaul plan approved
- DHL Mena chief wins top honour
- Dubai Investments unit wins $38m projects