Dubai blast kills 1; four warehouses destroyed
Dubai, March 26, 2008
A huge blast that rocked Dubai's Al Quoz industrial area early this morning is believed to have caused the death of at least one person. Four warehouses were destroyed by the explosion and resulting fire, said a report.
A large black cloud of smoke could be seen billowing into the air, said the Gulfnews.com report. The fire beagn around 7 am.
It has been reported that the fire started in a firecracker warehouse.
All routes towards the industrial area have been closed off.
The fire has been brought under control around 10.15am, the report said.
'It felt like an earthquake and the explosion shook the windows and glass of nearby buildings,' said a witness. After the first huge explosion, there were some minor explosions for almost five minutes, he said.
More Industry, Logistics & Shipping Stories
- Tata Steel rules out EU assets sale
- Egyptian firm Maridive inks $150m Islamic loan
- GPIC marks work safety milestone
- Sabic unveils green plastics for construction
- Sabic opens new facilities in Jubail
- Asry plans multimillion dollar floating dock
- TNT unveils new communication unit in Oman
- Hilco plans sale of seafood unit equipment
- Alessa unveils Qatar expansion plans
- Intermetal to build $20m furniture factory in Dubai